High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

If you have 37 "quality" players showing up for tryouts, do you have the resources (field space, coaches, ect) to field two teams? Some of the bigger high schools in GA have three middle school teams - 8th, 7th and 6th. The middle school league is then broken into a gold, silver and bronze division to try to match the teams with equal talent.
Last year I had to keep a couple of girls that were marginal, just to have enough for a JV squad (ten players). One of those had developed into a pretty decent outfielder, the other one is the girl I did not keep.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD’s MS has 2 Teams, 6th and 7th then 7th and 8th. 6th grade DD almost played for the varsity because of lack of players and she was the best fielder of the 6th grade group. More players showed up and she stayed down were she belonged.

What I see happening next year is that some of her friends are going to move to varsity and she is going to still be on JV because she is an adequate pitcher.

I wouldn’t want your job.

Aug 13, 2012
Update: the player in question that was good as far as had made the team actually had gotten cut. My DD survived another round. Monday is the 7th day of tryouts, we are staying positive(but secretly stressed out!!lol) spending some time today in the cage and tomorrow in the field. Trying to keep her as sharp as possible without wearing her out!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Awesome! I am routing for her. Apparently she is doing all the right things.

(I know this was the OP but routing against another player is never a good thing, been there and still am a little bit)

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
My daughter is in the 8th grade but was asked to play for varsity (our little school has JV and V teams but very rarely has a true try out to make team but to make position). I told her she could go if she wanted. She studied the situation and told me no after a few days. Her reasoning was she would be first string on JV and bench warmer on varsity. She says she learns more on the mound verses sitting on the bench listening to other teenagers.

So where will she really learn more? On the field or in the dug out?

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Let me say I am not trying to bring her/you down. If she makes it awesome, it is a well achieved goal for under classmen (women). Just telling how my daughter broke it down to me.

Aug 13, 2012
Dd still holding her own at tryouts. She did remark that the practice have changed some. They are working more on position play and drills. She says it feels more like practice than a tryout. One of the girls that is a returning JV player said the coach was still having cuts 2 weeks before the first game!!! Looks like it could be awhile before we know for sure if she made it or not.

Nov 29, 2009
Monday is the 7th day of tryouts,

7 days of tryouts!!!! NO wonder everyone is stressed. That should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. 3 days MAX!!! If a coach can't pick a team within 3 days they should not be coaching.

I'm glad others feel this way, today is the 9th day!!

Gosh, how many spots are there and how many girls are trying out? Four days of tryouts (one for 7th grade, one for 8th grade, and two days combined) was almost enough to drive me looney. That has to be some stress on the girls. Maybe the coaches are hoping some will just quit and make their decision easier.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207