High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have kept my talks with my dd positive. Have not voiced my opinion about any of this to her. Everything I have said to her was a positive influence. I keep telling her to do her best, hustle, and be respectful. If you make it, thats great, if you dont, its not the end of the world. I also coach, and I also have handled cuts. I have never told a girl she was on the bubble.[/QUOTE]

Could mean -Time to step it up in try-outs so your "bubble doesn't get popped".

What I tell my DD is "you can not control what the coach does or decides. You can only control what you do". '' Don't worry about the things that are beyond your control". Do your best. I can not see what the coach sees in my DD or another player. Have a plan B if plan A fails.

^^^^^^^This your daughter can control two thing attitude and effort, if she give 100% in those areas then let the chip fall where they may. In life you rarely get to control outcomes but you can always control your response to the situation.

p.s. for all your know coach is talking about the JV versus Varsity bubble and has already in his mind relegated your DD other teammate to the JV list.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Life lesson time...come on, anyone who works for a living has been through this. She keeps working, and if she makes the team you say, "Atta girl". If she doesn't, then you say, "Hey, you've got to work harder next year."

Parents don't need to shelter their kids from life. She isn't going to die from not making the team. Honestly, it would probably be best for her attitude if she didn't. Every time my DDs didn't make it (and there were lots of times when they didn't), you dry their tears and tell them, "Get off your *ss. Work harder. Get better. "

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
I am not the ideal parent but the one of the first things I told my three kids when they would challenge back to me with "That's not fair dad!" is "Life is NOT fair. The faster you get used to it the better. I will try and drive fairness to you kids but it will not always happen in life.".

I think that might have been one of the best things I taught my kids other than "think critically kids,...don't believe everything that gets thrown at you ."

I would recommend that you stay on course with giving it your all with a positive attitude and if it doesnt happen and your DD loves the game then focus on the better TB world. Odds are she'll get better coaching, better competition, and better overall exposure to the true sport than what HS can offer anyways.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Is it possible for 8th graders to play JV or Varsity in your state (it is in ours)- maybe the coach was telling your DD she is on the bubble of making the HS team instead of a MS team?

My thoughts were the same as 7smom....it could be Varsity vs. JV. In GA 8th graders are not allowed to play on the high school team (at least in my county)!

May 13, 2012
I am with the crowd on JV/ Varisty thing. If there is truley someone that much weaker than her safe on the side of team I would assume it is jv/v bubble.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We dont have a middle school team so they are allowed to play high school ball. There are 6-8 openings on the jv squad and 3-4 on varsity. And the girl good be bragging, cant say for sure.

I can hear it now.

" Coach should I come to the second day of tryouts tomorrow?"

"No you're good"

I just finished my MS tryouts this week. Thirty seven girls trying out for a middle school team and most of them are as good or better than what I have ever had in my five years in this gig. I had several girls and parents ask me "am I going to make the team?" or "how is my girl look?"
While I wanted to give positive and constructive feedback, that is NOT what they want. They want to hear "oh you are going to make the team." Sometimes they can take a positive comment and it turns into what the WANT to hear. Then when little Suzie doesn't make the team, what they think they heard comes back to haunt me.
I have learned the hard way to be diplomatic, and say nothing to cause problems later. While I have not said that someone was "on the bubble" I have said "well she is in the mix, but there are some good players here and I can only keep this many."
I don't have reason to think the Coach is playing mind games. He may be playing his cards close to the vest, and that is his right.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I just finished my MS tryouts this week. Thirty seven girls trying out for a middle school team and most of them are as good or better than what I have ever had in my five years in this gig. I had several girls and parents ask me "am I going to make the team?" or "how is my girl look?"
While I wanted to give positive and constructive feedback, that is NOT what they want. They want to hear "oh you are going to make the team." Sometimes they can take a positive comment and it turns into what the WANT to hear. Then when little Suzie doesn't make the team, what they think they heard comes back to haunt me.
I have learned the hard way to be diplomatic, and say nothing to cause problems later. While I have not said that someone was "on the bubble" I have said "well she is in the mix, but there are some good players here and I can only keep this many."
I don't have reason to think the Coach is playing mind games. He may be playing his cards close to the vest, and that is his right.

If you have 37 "quality" players showing up for tryouts, do you have the resources (field space, coaches, ect) to field two teams? Some of the bigger high schools in GA have three middle school teams - 8th, 7th and 6th. The middle school league is then broken into a gold, silver and bronze division to try to match the teams with equal talent.

When I say "quality" I mean girls that are either at MS level, or that are athletic enough to get there. Out of that 35, there were 30 that fit that definition.
We have the facilities....barely. We play a Varsity Schedule and a JV schedule (up to 16 games each). we use the HS for games and practices, which means practices from 5 to 7 right now. When season starts, we can usually move up to 3:30. Can use the Hitting facility (a metal building with four stalls for drills (separated by floor to ceiling netting, a lane for pitching machine use (70 feet long) and a lane for a pitcher and catcher (or other use). We share the gym (on rain or snow days) with MS baseball. Baseball's coach is probably far wiser, he kept 14 players, but he can only have a varsity schedule because of his numbers.
It is tough to get quality repetitions for everyone. Playing time won't be much of an issue for Varsity (eleven players), but will be for JV (fourteen players). Most of the schools in our conference keep twenty-twenty five on their two teams. Some of the bigger schools we play in nonconference may only keep twelve to fifteen.
Only complaint was from the step dad of an eighth grader that played (sparingly) last year. She missed the last day of tryouts, said she didn't hear the announcement. Nearly every seventh grader I kept looked more enthusiastic than her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207