High School Softball- why do it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not going to read all the posts so I am probably going to repeat what has been said.

It is laffable how bad some HS programs are. They have the players attending school, they just have no interest in playing.

Sluggers DD is HC for a HS next door to me and looks like she is building a program.

No reason other schools in community should not be competitive with them just can not get the players to play. Might not even have to coach, just role the ball out there and stay out of the way.

(DD's rec team would kick 2 of the 3 HS Teams, be in trouble with 3rd)

Last edited:
May 15, 2016
Talked with my DDs' TB AC yesterday about school ball. She said for my girls, a pitcher and a catcher, the chance to get more innings at their positions is reason enough to play school ball. She had two comments about dealing with the slow pitching of the girls who are not TB pitchers. She said it is an opportunity to really learn to swing fast, with every swing, and not slow down because the pitch is slow. She also said they could bunt at every a bat.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'm just wondering- why does a kid choose to play HS softball?
Is it because it's the highest level of competition you're going to find in that season (spring for us)?
Is it because it's fun and you get to play ball with your friends?

Is it because it's better for you to be playing ball on a team than not playing ball?

Is there satisfaction gained by representing your town/school on the field?

DD is probably done with HS softball, and I want to make sure She won't be shooting herself in the foot. I know that what she does in it's place will matter to college coaches, just want to make sure she's not biting off her nose to spite her face.

I think I can answer all of these from my own experience of playing both high school and travel ball.

I chose to play high school because I love the sport and playing is a lot of fun for me. As far as the competition level...it's not better than what I see in the summer and fall playing travel ball. That's not to say that playing high school ball isn't good for knocking the winter rust off and get my skills ready for the summer season. High school ball is a blast to play with friends and make high school ball fun as well. As far as being better than not playing ball...I'm sure I'd find another sport to play if I didn't play softball. I'd probably play either golf or lacrosse. There is a satisfaction in playing knowing you are representing your town and your school. Also with that representation comes a certain amount of pressure.However, when you do succede, there is a lot of pride in knowing you've made your town or school proud.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Why is the assumption being promoted here that high school coaches are all incompetent, the competition is terrible and participation lacks any value? As watered down as TB is now, these various arguments about lack of competition are as valid as any criticism of high school ball. I attend several showcases a year and shake my head at the price people pay for their dds to play on some of these teams when I see incompetent coaching. Of course those parents would not openly admit it since they try to out do the "Jones" with what team their dd plays on. Well, I must be crabby and so, take my comments for what they are worth. Nothing.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Why is the assumption being promoted here that high school coaches are all incompetent, the competition is terrible and participation lacks any value? As watered down as TB is now, these various arguments about lack of competition are as valid as any criticism of high school ball. I attend several showcases a year and shake my head at the price people pay for their dds to play on some of these teams when I see incompetent coaching. Of course those parents would not openly admit it since they try to out do the "Jones" with what team their dd plays on. Well, I must be crabby and so, take my comments for what they are worth. Nothing.

We are fortunate enough to live in a area where the local high schools all have pretty good softball teams that are pretty well coached. These high schools that are in this area are made of almost all travel ball players. We have one high school that is coached by a former NPF player, it is incredible how good the softball team is at that school for how small it is. This school only has 400 kids in the entire and they compete for state championships every year while playing schools that enrollment of over 1600 in some cases.

Sep 21, 2017
PA

I'm admittedly newer to the site, but that was one of my first impressions as well. Seems to be lots of hate towards HS teams and coaches. That's really too bad...HS athletics can truly be a wonderful experience. Sure some coaches and teams are better than others...isn't that how life works? So many lessons to be taught/learned through that.

I'm absolutely not a TB hater, it's necessary, but the culture in some areas seems to be Us vs Them, and that's just too bad. Btw...in almost every case, it's the adults, not the kids, causing the drama between the two programs.

Nov 29, 2009
If TB is so great, how come DFP is deluged in April and May by "My TB team sucks" threads?

As with anything, there are those who will never be happy. Those who are ill-informed. As well as those who are correct.

Given the huge numbers disparity between TB teams across the county versus HS teams. The complaints percentage here is lower. Also, most of the complaints here are from the younger aged parents. Many of whom have not learned the norms of travel ball.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whether you are talking about high school sports or travel/club sports, there are countless examples of good experiences and bad experiences. Each person needs to weigh those experiences for themselves and determine if they are truly worth it. I am pro travel ball and not a fan of high school ball. And I will be perfectly honest in recognizing and admitting that some of that is pure jealousy on my part. DD is part of a high school program that does not measure up with the other local programs. I respect the coaching staff and feel they are doing what they can to move the program in the proper direction. The team is loaded with great kids, but very few with any measurable experience. Besides DD, there is currently one other player on the team that has more than 1 year of travel ball experience. Most of the players have zero experience beyond rec ball. The program itself is in the middle of the second junior high season in school history, and several players on that program do play travel ball. It bodes well for the future. But DD will be a graduate before any of those players will be able to help the varsity program. Meanwhile we are surrounded by schools that average 10-15 travel ball players on their rosters. It just makes it extremely difficult to compete. And painful to watch. Yes, I am jealous... It is what it is, but as long as DD wants to play, I will support her. Even though the team struggles for wins, there are other things she can learn from the experience. We try to spin the positives as much as possible.

Jun 11, 2013
If TB is so great, how come DFP is deluged in April and May by "My TB team sucks" threads?

Because if you have a bad TB team you can find a new one. HS is the only place you will ever play that you are stuck with the coach. Most are great but some are terrible. We have a player where the coach made her catch ever single inning of ever game in to toughen her up. Now the kid can barely even run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32