High school coaches running paid clinic for players about to enter the highschool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hmmm, so I guess NONE of us should send our DD's to college clinics for a chance to meet the coaches, get our name in the hat, see the competition, show our interest in the program, tune our skills, meet other prospective players?

Pretty much these things are investments toward making it to the next level. That could be from rec to travel, from MS to HS, from HS to college. There is "motive" in everything we do as far as softball is concerned.

If I'm wrong please send your complaints to www.Greenmonsters.org.

GD, there seems to be a problem with the link. I clicked on it and it directed me to send $10 to GoingDeep@Bribes-R-Us.com ?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I too am a hs varsity coach and it is against the rules to train the kids in the off season... but since they arent hs age yet... I see the loop hole... However my tb team is mostly freshman and four of them will be on my hs team and this is acceptable as long as we arent playing games within the same season. But my tb girls will still have one on one bp with me twice a month in addition to their hs programs.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GM, you have a .org? Now I'm jealous! I looked up a fitting one for me but dummy.org was taken.

I do apologize for the way I came across. I hear so much about high school coaches that I wonder why anyone would want to do it. Per my clinics and as an FYI, all of the money I raised, and I raised a lot, went into my program. I never put one dime in my pockets. As my wife used to say, it made taxes easier.

Left Turn, you obviously have a bad feeling. If so, pass on the instruction. I don't know any coach that is going to cut players with ability. At least not do it intentionally.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Cannonball, fair enough. I do have an uneasy feeling about it.

But that is exactly why I raised the question here; because I wanted to understand from a different perspective. I wondered if others had a similar reaction and if my first impressions are valid.

Jan 25, 2011
I think any time you can get a bat and a ball in your dd's hands the better. You have to take it as a plus, be positive and you never know, who is watching. That coach might have a friend that coaches at a college somewhere and you could be one step further to a dream.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
The coach at the HS my DD will be going to has a clinic every summer and it is pretty well known that if you want to play for her, you'd better be at that clinic.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD's HS runs a four-day clinic every spring at their two fields for girls in 4th through 8th grade (I think). The cost is reasonable, the instruction is ok, not up to what she'd get at a college camp, but better than what most girls get in rec, they have batting stations, teach base running, fielding techniques, some beginning pitching basics, the campers all get a tee shirt and the softball program makes some money. What's not to like?

DD has gone to a couple of them, she missed last year due to time conflicts, but if she can make it this spring, she'll go. She wants the chance to show the HS coaches what she's got and get acquainted with them before she gets to high school. She was thrilled when one of her PE teachers said she had mentioned her to the head softball coach.

However, the HS softball camp flyer has wisely never mentioned that attending camp would help one to make the HS team. The softball page does say that "Participation in our summer weight program is highly encouraged." I believe that program is free to any student at the high school who is willing to get up early and come in, so that seems much more appropriate for an optional mandatory event.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Goingdeep makes a good point on page two of the posts. He mentions college showcase or exposure camps and tourneys. I think we would all want to be able to send our DD's to these events for the specific purpose of exposure.

I guess I can look at these 7th and 8th graders going to practices run by the high school varsity and junior varsity coaches as a type of exposure event, just on a much smaller scale.

I just wish the owners of the facility had focused their sales pitch on the excellence of the instruction rather than exploiting access to the high school coaches. They made their intention crystal clear on this point by stating they were working to get the boys baseball coach on their roster, when he is clearly not an effective teacher because he chooses not to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission