High school coaches running paid clinic for players about to enter the highschool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
The high school and junior varsity coaches for our local school are running paid softball clinics for 7th and 8th grade softball players that will feed into their high school at a newly opened facility. One of the facility owner’s daughters is a 7th grader who will attend the high school as well.

All of the coaches for this facility are local high school coaches. There are 9 high school coaches listed on their website as being on staff. The owners of the facility (all residents of our town) gave a presentation to the local baseball/softball board requesting the board send recreation and travel teams to their facility for training.

Their sales pitch was, “Who else is better to train your daughters than the high school coaches that will coach them? This is a great chance to learn their methods before they get there so they will have a better chance of making the high school teams.” It was not a stretch to paraphrase their sales pitch, “Increase your chances of making the school teams. Come to our clinics run by the coaches.”

When my daughter heard about the training, her first response was, “Well, I have to go don’t I?” This is a direct quote. So my daughter is attending the training which runs 8 weeks.

In every school, parents jockey for access so they can ingratiate themselves to the high school varsity coach. This appears to be a perfect example of how this can be done. What better way to ingratiate yourself to the coaches than to transfer money directly to them?

My first response was like my daughter’s. However, I am conflicted. It is not proper for high school coaches to run off-season clinics for the players in their high school. How is this any different? She is attending the practices, but there is an “ick” factor for me. I wonder if I am over reacting.

What do you think?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am surprised they are allowed to do that, but the solution is to 'coach up' your DD in TB so the local high school coach will BEG her to play!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It is not proper for high school coaches to run off-season clinics for the players in their high school. How is this any different?

The difference is that these are not high school players. The reason state associations don't allow high school coaches to do clinics for their own players in the off-season is because it would give their team a competitive edge. You have to limit practice time or else high school teams would be forced to practice year-round to compete.

But to address your bigger question, yes, the sales pitch does have an icky feel to it. If they're going to do a clinic, I'd prefer them just to state their credentials and how they can help middle schools be better players, prepare them to play high school ball, etc. I'd also feel better if they were raising money for their high school teams.

Well OK but after attending the first sessions what you have to figure out is...was the training any good?

If they are helping them grow and they are learning treat it like any other training opportunity but if I was trying to dig under the cushions for the money to afford it, the training was mediocre or she was just not getting anything out of the sessions I would not feel obligated to go as long as she was getting quality training some where else...if she is good enough no coach is going to hold it against her. The problem might come if all things are equal they might favor someone they already knew.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill...

When my daughter heard about the training, her first response was, “Well, I have to go don’t I?”

The DD wants to go to a softball clinic that is nearby and probably reasonably priced, where she will get to hang out with all of her school friends, probably meet some new friends, size up the HS coaches and the competition, play a little softball, and have some fun.

Naturally, this is to be discouraged, since we don't want the DD making any decisions about her career softball because...???

It is not proper for high school coaches to run off-season clinics for the players in their high school. How is this any different? She is attending the practices, but there is an “ick” factor for me. I wonder if I am over reacting.

First, since the kids are not in HS, there is no prohibition.

Second, even if they were HS students, it depends upon the state whether or not it is prohibited.

In Illinois, for example, *DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR*, it is legal as long as there are no more than two players from the high school team at a practice. Clinics *OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL YEAR* are completely legal. In fact, some HS coaches have summer teams specifically for their players.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Hmmm. I'd be willing to assume that the coaches are doing these clinics out of passion for the game of softball. There is so little money in coaching softball that it is more their love of the game than a career choice that makes coaches put in the time. I've seen a few local high school coaches giving paid hitting lessons and paid team lessons in the off season (sure, it's nice to make a little bit of extra cash) - my DD's team is working off and on with a high school coach on a consulting type basis. None of the girls go, or will go, to this coach's school - it is more just to get some second looks and have a fresh set of eyes on the girls.
I agree that the sales pitch does seem a little odd - I would be concerned with that as well. The rose colored glasses part of me is still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and figure maybe they're just terrible at marketing. They might not realize that some may think that they are in the market for bribes.
All of that said, it doesn't hurt to get on the coach's radar and it's always fun to strut your stuff, I just wouldn't think of the clinic as a "must".

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill...

I completely disagree. There is an underlying veiled threat that I find rather insidious. "Come to our camp and you'll have a better chance of making the high school team" translates to "if you don't come, you probably won't make it." At least that is the appearance, and I don't blame the O.P. for feeling put off.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
As an instructor, what I would be afraid of, is what if "Alice" bombs out?

So, a 7th grader starts coming to the indoor training. Her dad hangs out there every night. They spend a small fortune there and help bring you other students. But, "Alice" has no talent and is slow, out of shape and eating Doritos. You have 40 kids try out for the freshman team and "Alice ranks 30th.

I can see where having your own training facility could back fire.

If this situation had happened to my son's baseball team, in small town IL., we would have known exactly that it meant that we better show up.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If my DD's HS coach held a clinic for 8th graders, I'd send her. I'd like the opportunity for the coach to know who my kid is, and for my kid to know what her future coach wants. I could give a cr@p if the coaches know who I am, and I doubt they care.
I'd feel better about it if it were held on campus, but that's not practical this time of year in many places.

Many of the HS coaches here work at skills facilities to supplement the small fortune bestowed upon them by the public school system, so I'd expect they'd use whatever facility they can access.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There is an underlying veiled threat that I find rather insidious. "Come to our camp and you'll have a better chance of making the high school team" translates to "if you don't come, you probably won't make it." At least that is the appearance, and I don't blame the O.P. for feeling put off.

Agreed. It's not the clinic itself that is being questioned. It's the sales pitch. If it's within the rules for HS coaches to give clinics, then have a clinic. State your credentials. Make them better players. But don't suggest or imply in any way that someone who pays you money to attend your clinic has a better chance of making your high school team than someone who doesn't. Not cool, IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi