High Level swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Are you teaching or is your kid learning the high level swing?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm not sure what my child is learning

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Jan 28, 2017
Tango, can you please reference where he talks about this?

"Talking about swinging down and tight pivots a lot more lately."

He has several clips where he talks about the swing being a downward movement but if you are one legged it turns up. He shows the same swing with a downward path- balanced two legged and the swing continues down, one legged and the swing turns up.

May 12, 2016
He has several clips where he talks about the swing being a downward movement but if you are one legged it turns up. He shows the same swing with a downward path- balanced two legged and the swing continues down, one legged and the swing turns up.

I don't really agree with that, I think maintaining posture is the key. If you come out of your posture, path will be affected. However I can't find anything on him talking about swinging down.

May 12, 2016
The demo is quite funny. He demos 2-legged as front leg dominant and then demos 1-legged as back leg dominant. They were both 1-legged. Haha.

edit: and both were wrong.
Figured he was maybe over the front leg(on the attempted two legged swing) when he said the down to ended up being the down through as well..

Jan 28, 2017
Julray and Work=wins, I know you both are a little against the norm on the board. Not saying you are wrong but do you believe in coil.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 15yo DD has been working with a hitting instructor (DFP'er @Mike-Coach-Q ) who teaches the HLP swing based on the instruction of TM. Over the past year of working with him, my DD's quickness and power have taken noticeable steps forward. Last week, my DD was telling me how she has never felt better about her swing. This was after a BP session where she was repeatedly driving the ball 220-250'.

Before my DD started working with this instructor, there were a few concepts about the HLP that I didn't understand, especially regarding the use of the rear leg and the rear hip socket pivot point/axis. My DD's work helped me see the light. I'm not sure how I would put it into words. It was one of those things that I had to feel, and then the dots connected.

Although the HLP is gaining traction in the softball world, there are still a large majority of coaches/instructors who are teaching the swing the same way it's been taught for decades - get the front foot down early, knob to the ball, snap out front, and downward barrel path to create backspin.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Although the HLP is gaining traction in the softball world, there are still a large majority of coaches/instructors who are teaching the swing the same way it's been taught for decades - get the front foot down early, knob to the ball, snap out front, and downward barrel path to create backspin. "

I don't think it's either TM's HLP or this. I don't even believe (hope) the majority of instructors are teaching "get the front foot down early, knob to the ball, snap out front, and downward barrel path to create backspin. "

There probably are some old school coaches living in the dark ages but there is definitely a middle ground. It is not HL way or the highway.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom