HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Forced rear leg/hip actions out of sequence.

0Me68ct.gif

Vs

Dynamic flow leveraging both sides of the body.

OnT5Opq.gif

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Forced rear leg/hip actions out of sequence.

0Me68ct.gif

I've been debating posting this in this thread for a while, but...

I don't think anybody, on either side, acknowledges that sometimes TM's demonstrations look like crap because he's an old, fat, out of shape guy who quite possibly just can't make his body do what he's trying to make it do. In this clip, he almost falls over after swinging.

I'm not saying everything he teaches is correct, but I'm not sure we should judge his teaching based on his demonstrations.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

I don't think anybody, on either side, acknowledges that sometimes TM's demonstrations look like crap because he's an old, fat, out of shape guy who quite possibly just can't make his body do what he's trying to make it do. In this clip, he almost falls over after swinging.

I'm not saying everything he teaches is correct, but I'm not sure we should judge his teaching based on his demonstrations.

CoachJD, the demonstration represents exactly what he wants which is to force rear leg hip coil out of sequence .. He's unable to teach or move his COM forward (fyb) without giving up his coil. Since he doesn't know how he makes false claims that all non HLP hitters shift their weight to the lead leg before swinging.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
One of my many mistakes and rabbit holes I fell in to , was not going forward. Here is an explanation of how far to go forward. The front leg In HLP in viewed as a kickstand. He mentioned if you go too far you can’t effectively tilt, IMO that’s where the core has to be the main mover. It’s not my way to say whats right or wrong , just another way to hit. I have seen hitters that we’re too early in the swing go forward more and use the core muscles to TTB like in a off speed pitch. With ok power but not their strongest swing.

May 12, 2016
One of my many mistakes and rabbit holes I fell in to , was not going forward. Here is an explanation of how far to go forward. The front leg In HLP in viewed as a kickstand. He mentioned if you go too far you can’t effectively tilt, IMO that’s where the core has to be the main mover. It’s not my way to say whats right or wrong , just another way to hit. I have seen hitters that we’re too early in the swing go forward more and use the core muscles to TTB like in a off speed pitch. With ok power but not their strongest swing.

Slightly bent kickstand? What I mean is landing with a slightly bent front knee. DD use to land with a locked out front leg which made it very awkward to adjust when she was fooled..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Good luck... I have been convinced for years that the debate has more to do with personal grievances than anything hitting related. JMO...

Aug 20, 2017
Slightly bent kickstand? What I mean is landing with a slightly bent front knee. DD use to land with a locked out front leg which made it very awkward to adjust when she was fooled..
I think the front leg landing bent is the result of weight shifting some to the front side. The bend is there to absorb some of that weight. Core/hip rotation should then cause the front leg to lock

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28