High Gate Fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
On a local msg board someone was discussing a high gate fee along with money not being refunded, even though their team never saw the field. The shocking part was a $12 gate fee for a 3GG One Day Tourney. These are Open tourneys that draw B teams. I am just curious how this fee compares to others across the country. Is anybody else paying this? Thanks!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In our area NE Oh. and NW Pa., fees will run $3 a day. If they charge for parking instead, there will be no gate fees. Parking will cost $3 a day or $10 for a weekend pass to park for the 3 dayers. I think the highest I've paid per day in the last 4 years of TB was $5 when we traveled to Columbus for a Bat Wars tourney. That was only because the city owned the complex (32 fields) and that was their standard rate.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Usually $4-5 per day in N.C. There weren't as many gate-fee tournaments in Georgia two years ago. I don't like gate fees, or I believe that they should be much smaller, because they penalize big families. I don't want to tell a tournament director how much money he/she should make. The consumer can make that choice. I'd just rather that more of their revenue come from entry fees than gate fees. Not that you asked that.

Another quick anecdote - We had a 2-day tournament recently where fee was $4/day. First day rained out. Next day - $7 gate fee.

May 17, 2012
NSA in Indiana is charging a $150 team gate fee. They are cutting out the middle man and making the coaches pay in advance.

So instead of a tournament costing $325 it now costs $475.

They talk about what a great deal it is, if you have X amount of people going but to me it's just laziness and a PITA. If you don't build it into your team budget in advance it is a headache. If it's such a great deal why don't they give the teams the option of paying up front or paying at the gate.

NSA can't go away fast enough.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What's a gate fee? Like admission to watch your team play as a parent?

Yes, gate fee you pay to go watch your kid play. In Florida we usually have no gate fees unless playing at Disney $12-18 or some showcases at $8. But ASA, NSA, USSSA are all typically no gate fee. We usually pay about $425 for a 3/1 or 2/2.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
I have one philosophy: if I'm paying a gate fee as a parent who is already taking it in the shorts with team fees (who the hell do they think is paying for the tournament fees that put teams on the field?!?) then my admission includes the cooler and bag full of food that I'm bringing in with me. I'll take some extra cash for the gate or the concession stand, but they're not getting both.

BTW, the highest gate fee I've seen up here is $5 per person per day including kids over 5 y/o. Nothing I like more than paying an extra 20 bucks per day just to watch my kid play.

/rant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55