Curious about HS Softball fees & fundraising costs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I only have one child in HS and she does theater, not sports. However, the theater group does fund raising but nothing is required. Concession stand, and ticket booths are manned and run (over seen by a teacher of course) by the students. All $$ raised go directly to the following years budget (on top of what the school has put aside.

Every fall, the HS football team does sell coupon books but y understanding is that is also voluntary. I don't believe any parents are getting stuck buying the extra books.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
We're a 5A HS in Central PA. I have a softball budget through the school district, and we have individual sport booster clubs. Our booster club provides meal money for certain away games, any coaches clinic fees, coaches shirts, and anything I ask for...lol. (well, most of what I ask for).

We have never had any type of "fee" to play. This year, since we lost the concession stand due to Covid regulations, our booster club asked each parent (both JH/HS - 50ish athletes) for a $30 donation, to help offset that lost money and using that we buy practice shirts. It is not a requirement for the player to be on the team, though.

We typically do two fundraisers each year, but there is no minimum requirement for anyone to meet. One is what we just call "Letter Writing", where each player (JH/HS) gets 5 names and address of family/businesses and we write a letter asking if they would be interested in donating to the program.

The second is our golf tournament, which is co-sponsored by a former coach whose daughter played at our HS, and passed away from cancer. The tourney profits go toward both softball booster club and a scholarship in the name of the former player, given to a senior softball player. We have multiple raffle prizes at the course that golfers can buy tickets for, large gift baskets, all donated from parents, former players, local businesses. We do hole sponsorships, different levels for different price points. All we ask the girls to do for this one is show up for a few hours and say thank you. The former coach, myself and booster club members do all the work for this one. 2021 will be year 14, so it runs pretty smoothly once the initial leg work is done.

May 4, 2016
Both DD's do theatre including the one that plays softball. theatre cost a lot more usually about $150 a person per show. Luckily, with oldest in college now and middle DD playing softball in fall, only have to pay for two shows a year now. Oh and there is Thespians which is about another $100 a year. DS starts high school next year and he does band, no idea what those fees will be.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
$150/kid/sport for varsity and JV. $100 for junior high sports. Families are capped at $700/year total. Minnesota smaller school (@100 kids/grade).
School ballfields built in the early '90s, no frills, kitty litter infields. Football teams turn the outfields into cattle pastures every fall with practice. Only change has been dugouts added in 2017 by booster club.

Apr 9, 2020
we do fundamental fund raising like selling candy bars, car wash and percentage of proceeds from a local chain restaurant like moes or chipotle etc. and the money raised is voted on by team on what to use for, field equip, swag gear .. if this is the only way the team in question gets to play at all then thats different story with school fundings these days could be diminished. my daughter was recently offered a spot on heritage country team to compete in Europe this summer. the initial trip to representative country for dual citizenship is on us (airfare alone for this short trip is 5k), but we are as a group trying o raise a few thousand dollars per athlete on donations to cover athletes travel and security detail while in Europe this summer. I just hope for all there is some sort of season for these girls both HS and travel as they are working so hard.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD’s JH and HS share a field. Infield and outfield are well kept. Small stadium style seating, recently renovated dugouts, and quality snack stand. UA brand uniforms and helmets, and Mizuno bags. Players provide their own masks, gloves, bats, and cleats. There are some team bats but by JV the girls have what they like already. The HS “requires” girls to have played for the JH to make JV/V. Im sure there are exceptions based on TB history.

JH and HS have a $30 activity fee. You only pay once no matter how many sports played in the given year. The coaches have an annual budget, but also get booster help. Parents are required to work the snack stand during home games. Which is nice for JH (Spring) as the building is warm and directly behind home plate. HS plays in the Fall so it can get a little warm, but not awful.

Someone mentioned property tax.....that’s definitely the case here. Still cheaper than where we moved from but still high. However, the school district (academically) is one of the top rated in the area. And the sports are growing in quality each year.

Oct 10, 2018
No fee from our school (and I hear you about taxes! Westchester County, NY one of the highest in the country) but the girls buy their own gear, pants, socks, and shoes, they have to turn in their jersey at the end of the season. We have a booster club but I'm not sure how much gets to softball. The softball families here seem very uninterested/quiet (at the MS anyway) but this is her first year of HS ball so we'll see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321