Is the disparity between good and bad high school teams growing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of good softball players opt not to play for a crappy HS team, which widens the gap between the “haves” and “have nots”. Since 98.2% of softball recruiting is done in TB, HS ball is for fun and getting run ruled on a regular basis is no fun...

Jan 28, 2017
At a tournament this weekend and a guy said that's the girl that throws so hard. Me- she's a great CF and #3 pitcher on her team. They have a D1 commit and a 10th grader that's really good. They are ranked top 5 this year. Guy- she quit her HS team because she wasn't pitching but has signed to play CF. What's wrong with people?

Apr 28, 2014
We have 3 divisions in our conference. 2 of the divisions have 4-5 awful teams and 1-2 good teams. The good teams are 8-0 and 7-1. Our division is very evenly matched with our team at 4-2 and the pack at 3-3 and 3-2.. Gonna be a race to the finish. I do love reading stories where the 8-0 team's pitcher dazzles.. when she's pitching against rec competition. Last night my DD pitched against a team with 11, yes 11 "A" level players and we won 15-4. But no accolades because she didn't no hit them. But as I hear steel sharpens steel.

Jan 28, 2017
There may or may not be other things going on you don't know about.

As I mentioned once in another thread, everyone has a point at which they say "enough is enough". Well, except for some extreme masochists. For some, the threshold is very low, for others it is very high. All you know is that girl reached her threshold on that one HS team, and you don't know exactly what was involved. It may be that she just didn't like the team or the coach very much, so all it took was a little nudge to get her to leave. Or, there may have been an abusive situation. Or, the girl may be a prima donna.

True! But a good program and good people run the softball program. That's true also. It's so easy to just leave in today's world. Worked at a school a couple of years ago where a girl transferred three times in HS. One school had to fight to get her eligible and she should have been ineligible. Played for the HS coach during the summer in TB and then switched teams. Big time lawyer got her eligible. She quit within two weeks of HS ball because the high school coach made her come to practice. They won state without her but she plays at a big time D1 school now because of TB. She is causing all kinds of problems for the D1 school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi