Help with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
tumblr_otzbdgz7DJ1usf292o1_250.gif

You can do what you want and try and fix this position and that ect... but, if my DD this is the first thing I would address.
tumblr_ou130d77Yx1usf292o1_250.gif

The 'push' /moving hands forward, when your DD should be 'turning the barrel forward towards the ball'. I would start with moving the tee closer to your DD. Then I would work on not moving the hands forward/push and work on turning the barrel right nowwww.

Good post.

It's pretty tough to "turn the barrel" with a swing virtually void of lateral side bend (lateral tilt).

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Rdbass,

I agree with what you are saying about the hands moving forward. She is to mechanical, load up, stop, then push the hands forward. She needs to turn the barrel more like you suggest, but also needs better overlaps or change of direction in her swing. The swing needs to be more athletic, it needs to flow better instead of the hands loading up and then "just waiting" to push forward or move forward like you suggest. Right now the swing is to mechanical. Load this and that, then turn this and that (turn the leg/hip for example). She needs to be more natural.

I agree and that's called 'overlap'. Shouldn't be able to tell load form unloading. One continues LOADING into the UNLOADING. I would like to see the hands more involved with the 'loading'. Feel the bat in her hands . Right now the body/shoulders is loading the barrel. Hands need to not be connected to the rotation of the shoulders back and forward. Get that right and I believe the rest will take care of it self.Again JMHO.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

I'll also add and bet that if the ball was higher on the tee we would be seeing some 'chicken winging' going on. Hint of it with the ball on a lower tee but, that's for another day.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Looks to me that some bat throwing for maximum distance might be helpful. Ask her to first do it with her current swing/mechanics and then ask her to do it several times subsequently with a focus simply on maxing distance with ZERO regard to swing mechanics. I'm wondering if some of the desired actions might have been coached out of her and might re-appear. At best, this could shorten the path to the holy grail. At worst, she'll get rid of alot of frustration. Just make sure you use an old bat!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I'll also add and bet that if the ball was higher on the tee we would be seeing some 'chicken winging' going on. Hint of it with the ball on a lower tee but, that's for another day.

Very tough to get the lead arm correct with a swing virtually void of lateral side bend.

Loved your recommendation about moving the tee back. That would shut down her current swing in a hurry. Her push swing needs the tee to be out front to get the barrel reasonably up to speed.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Looks to me that some bat throwing for maximum distance might be helpful. Ask her to first do it with her current swing/mechanics and then ask her to do it several times subsequently with a focus simply on maxing distance with ZERO regard to swing mechanics. I'm wondering if some of the desired actions might have been coached out of her and might re-appear. At best, this could shorten the path to the holy grail. At worst, she'll get rid of alot of frustration. Just make sure you use an old bat!

Love this post.

Sometimes you have to do things like this and learn if the hitter has a hint of a proper movement pattern that has been coached out of her.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I agree and that's called 'overlap'. Shouldn't be able to tell load form unloading. One continues LOADING into the UNLOADING. I would like to see the hands more involved with the 'loading'. Feel the bat in her hands . Right now the body/shoulders is loading the barrel. Hands need to not be connected to the rotation of the shoulders back and forward. Get that right and I believe the rest will take care of it self.Again JMHO.

Exactly, we shouldn't see all the loading and then unloading as separate moves.

Sep 29, 2014
Really like the tee back idea think it will help. And it will also highlight lack of separation, since she will be starting with hands close and forward not back and away that along with push motion will have her generating almost no power at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like the tee idea as well with trying to turn the barrel instead of pushing. If she continues to push she will have to take an awkward swing to hit the ball of the tee is closer.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There you go ... in golf it is referred to as "lateral side bend".

So let's dumb it down a bit.

Perform three lateral side bends .... bending back to the catcher. Get a feel for the contraction taking place.

Side_Bend.gif

Next perform three side rotations towards the pitcher ....

Side_Rotation.gif

Pretty simple and straight forward movements.

Repeat ... perform three lateral side bends .... and then three side rotations.

Now .... here comes the fun part ... perform both a lateral side bend and a side rotation at the same time ... and at high speed. Do it for a short distance to capture the initial feel.

You are on your way to Pivoting the Swing.

Pivot_The_Swing.gif

Follow up .....

Gearsxx.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32