Help with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
The "lateral side bend" seen in a swing is an "effect", and not a "cause" of anything. It's the rear hip turning forward that's pulling everything above it (from the "bottom of the top" on up) forward with it. The top gear in that gif is the barrel turning rearward around the hands to be pulled forward by the lower half gear (engine)...it is not the bending laterally in the torso, and is should not be taught as such.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The "lateral side bend" seen in a swing is an "effect", and not a "cause" of anything. It's the rear hip turning forward that's pulling everything above it (from the "bottom of the top" on up) forward with it. The top gear in that gif is the barrel turning rearward around the hands to be pulled forward by the lower half gear (engine)...it is not the bending laterally in the torso, and is should not be taught as such.

I know many believe this. Figured it was time that I added clarity.

Pivot_The_Swing.gif

Gearsxx.gif

Apr 11, 2015
I know many believe this. Figured it was time that I added clarity.

Pivot_The_Swing.gif

Gearsxx.gif
So you truly believe that Arod is consciously thinking of laterally bending at a particular spot in his swing, and not just thinking about getting his "hips then hands" into it, and the ball...or did I miss read your post here?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So you truly believe that Arod is consciously thinking of laterally bending at a particular spot in his swing, and not just thinking about getting his "hips then hands" into it, and the ball...or did I miss read your post here?

Good hitters perform their thinking of mechanics outside of the batter's box. In the box it is a mentality more akin to "see ball, hit ball" ... they are in a reactionary mode. Outside of the batter's box many will work on building short-term muscle memory based on their particular feel of their swing's deficiency.

The action that many attribute to hips is inclusive of the core action ... which is not a singular one-dimensional action, but multiple actions that take place simultaneously.

Apr 11, 2015
Good hitters perform their thinking of mechanics outside of the batter's box. In the box it is a mentality more akin to "see ball, hit ball" ... they are in a reactionary mode. Outside of the batter's box many will work on building short-term muscle memory based on their particular feel of their swing's deficiency.
OK, but you know what I was talking about, and I'll leave it at that.

The action that many attribute to hips is inclusive of the core action ... which is not a singular one-dimensional action, but multiple actions that take place simultaneously.
Let's narrow this down then to just what you're saying. Do you believe that Arod in your example, or any professional hitter practices the timing of their lateral bend in order to incorporate the timing of it into their swing to subconsciously use later at the plate when they're thinking "see ball, hit ball"?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Let's narrow this down then to just what you're saying. Do you believe that Arod in your example, or any professional hitter practices the timing of their lateral bend in order to incorporate the timing of it into their swing to subconsciously use later at the plate when they're thinking "see ball, hit ball"?

Good athletes develop movement patterns that are highly effective. The lateral tilt occurring simultaneous with the lower core rotation is one such movement pattern.

Apr 11, 2015
Good athletes develop movement patterns that are highly effective. The lateral tilt occurring simultaneous with the lower core rotation is one such movement pattern.
IOWs, "no they don't". Got it, thanks for the roundabout answer confirming that it's not a "cause" or a "teach", but rather just an "effect" of other practiced movements of the hitter.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IOWs, "no they don't". Got it, thanks for the roundabout answer confirming that it's not a "cause" or a "teach", but rather just an "effect" of other practiced movements of the hitter.

I understand that you desire a particular answer.

A hitters sequence is intimately involved with their timing ... or at least it should be.

The lateral tilting process is important ... and one of the bigger flaws we see in young hitters posting their swing here at DFP.

CCabrera_revc_lateral_tilt.gif

Apr 11, 2015
I understand that you desire a particular answer.

A hitters sequence is intimately involved with their timing ... or at least it should be.

The lateral tilting process is important ... and one of the bigger flaws we see in young hitters posting their swing here at DFP.

CCabrera_revc_lateral_tilt.gif
Not looking for a particular answer (just an direct one), and do believe that lateral tilting does happen within the swing. I just think it's important to identify why it happens, in order to determine what should, and shouldn't be taught wrt it...to make sure it's part of the process, and not an initiating process of it or the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not looking for a particular answer (just an direct one), and do believe that lateral tilting does happen within the swing. I just think it's important to identify why it happens, in order to determine what should, and shouldn't be taught wrt it...to make sure it's part of the process, and not an initiating process of it or the swing.

Just as you believe the lower body's rotational movement in the direction towards the pitcher is an active process, so is the lateral tilting action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16