Help with swing, 15YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

I would absolutely love to have a discussion - but your style is to propose riddles to others.....never give a straight answer...you and O'leary have the same style of posting....

Care to answer any of the questions though?

Oct 25, 2009
Tewks, I agree with RayR, it's difficult to have a dialogue using riddles. I'm sure you have some good information, so I'm hoping you will share it. Most posters on here would probably pass on their source if they find value in your teachings.

Dec 1, 2011
I'm fairly certain I have more experience experimenting with the SnF theory than you. Take it for whatever you believe that is worth.

Me experimenting with being as sudden as possible beyond thought goes way back to, oh about a month now. It's no secret that snf is extremely new to me.

Tewks - Obviously your experience in experimenting with all things HI including SnF can't be matched by those here who just recently learned it. I witnessed you take off like a rocket at HI but never looked back (which is a shame IMHO).

As much as I admire your use of the Socratic method (especially in the legendary thread at BBF, Toe Touch and Heel Plant) it seems to me that we all would be better served if you would direct its use to the source of SnF.

Mr Nyman and others had standing invitations to engage Richard in lively inquiry.

I'm sure your invitation would only be a click away.

Now an exchange like that would get words put to theory much, much quicker.

Tewks, I'm not being a smart-a$$. Just trying to move the learning along.

How 'bout it.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I like that Hype, you are loading and reading.

I remember asking this type question, with my first experiance with DFP. How far to take your swing, and still stop.

When you swing, when is the adjustment made, for the highth of the pitch? After committing
to the pitch?

What part of the swing after committing?

Before you commit, do you already know, high or low?

If the commitment is made already at go, why stop? The barrel is moving, but no commitment was made, because they stopped.

that sounds pretty confusing, which is why i asked in so many ways.

I believe, at this point, as you turn your shoulders, and are turning the barrel, and are moving your hands, adjustments are still being made.

Start the turn looking high, but have the skills to adjust down.

Outside, is timing, let it come in deep. Inside, is timing, hit it out front.

the bold above , that loading, and seperation, tension created, and fighting the turn, Makes for a much quicker swing. But does it affect adjustment?

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I like that Hype, you are loading and reading.

I remember asking this type question, with my first experiance with DFP. How far to take your swing, and still stop.

When you swing, when is the adjustment made, for the highth of the pitch? After committing
to the pitch?

What part of the swing after committing?

Before you commit, do you already know, high or low?

If the commitment is made already at go, why stop? The barrel is moving, but no commitment was made, because they stopped.

that sounds pretty confusing, which is why i asked in so many ways.

I believe, at this point, as you turn your shoulders, and are turning the barrel, and are moving your hands, adjustments are still being made.

Start the turn looking high, but have the skills to adjust down.

Outside, is timing, let it come in deep. Inside, is timing, hit it out front.

the bold above , that loading, and seperation, tension created, and fighting the turn, Makes for a much quicker swing. But does it affect adjustment?

So, in my eyes, until the barrel is released you are in a constant state of loading.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I would absolutely love to have a discussion - but your style is to propose riddles to others.....never give a straight answer...you and O'leary have the same style of posting....

They may seem like riddles to you, but they are all questions I have had to ask and answer myself and there seems to be a lot of SnF drill promotion right now.

Mechanics don't matter unless the hitter is under stress due to velocity. If you can sit and wait, then you can get away with simply loading and waiting. The SnF drill teaches you to be sudden from a very specific setup. Adding a forward move later will disrupt the entire drill. So if you perfect the suddenness of the SnF drill, if you do the one legged drill... You learn how to stay back over the rear leg and wait. If you want that to be your load, do the drill. Get the pelvis inside the rear leg and the dynamic of the everything changes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
They may seem like riddles to you, but they are all questions I have had to ask and answer myself and there seems to be a lot of SnF drill promotion right now.

Mechanics don't matter unless the hitter is under stress due to velocity. If you can sit and wait, then you can get away with simply loading and waiting. The SnF drill teaches you to be sudden from a very specific setup. Adding a forward move later will disrupt the entire drill. So if you perfect the suddenness of the SnF drill, if you do the one legged drill... You learn how to stay back over the rear leg and wait. If you want that to be your load, do the drill. Get the pelvis inside the rear leg and the dynamic of the everything changes.

Are you saying that SnF drill causes staying back to the point it almost becomes a dead-start swing?

Oct 25, 2009
Why use the words sudden, instantaneous and perform races from the position?

I'm just trying to understand the discussion. The SnF that's being discussed recently is different than what I thought SnF was.

Do you believe it contributes to a dead-start swing? I'm not trying to make a point, just trying to get an opinion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach