Help with swing, 15YO SSDD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
SSDD (Same shirt, different day). Thanks for all the good suggestions. Trying hands higher, deeper tee (maybe not deep enough?), she is directing hit to right side, stride a bit narrower. She is using a borrowed bat that is too big - (we were at a pitching lesson and did not have hers- but took the opportunity to video since she let me). Just wanted to see if she is going in the right direction.

IMG_0525 - YouTube

Last edited:
R

RayR

Top hand / rear forearm needs more of this action to start turning the barrel (from when the hammer head is near the belly button and gets turned back)....I would show the video clip of a former olympian but that might hurt DVD sales...

This position is from connecting the barrel to the shoulders.

nosupforyou.jpg

You are looking for something more like this

supforyou.jpg

Mar 12, 2009
RayR, is the difference between the two in the lead arm or the tilt/scrunching...or both? Please explain what caused or led to it.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
:confused:so she needs to have that happen sooner than she is currently doing so that her arms will not be as extended when she makes contact? Is that right? - (I am waiting for the "Batting made ridiculously simple" thread)

R

RayR

Difference is between actively turning the barrel early OR turning the shoulders and throwing/pushing the hands...one barrel is on time and the other is way behind hands....front arm is a result -

RayR, is the difference between the two in the lead arm or the tilt/scrunching...or both? Please explain what caused or led to it.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Ray
Are you talking about lead arm tight to chest on rotation?
I have a few of Casey.
Here is one just before contact. if I had the next frame I believe her lead arm would be fairly straight with the bat, and that would be in plane with the shoulder plane. One of Bonds, except his front leg is straight. But at contact I believe his lead arm and bat will somewhat line up and in plane with shoulder plane.
CaseyinAlabama20122-1_zpsdd2a93a5.jpg

Bondsbatlag_zpsb3677bb3.jpg

SL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
PerfectSwing-Markings_zps15676b92.jpg

Heres what in plane means
Bat same plane as shoulders...... above picture

attachment-1.jpg

See how the lead arm and bat are almost straight and lead arm is fairly close to body on contact.

I believe Ray was pointing this out about your dd's point of contact.

SL

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
Things need to happen behind her, rather than in front of her. Start with turning the barrel.

Aug 28, 2012
ray
are you talking about lead arm tight to chest on rotation?
I have a few of casey.
Here is one just before contact. If i had the next frame i believe her lead arm would be fairly straight with the bat, and that would be in plane with the shoulder plane. One of bonds, except his front leg is straight. But at contact i believe his lead arm and bat will somewhat line up and in plane with shoulder plane.
caseyinalabama20122-1_zpsdd2a93a5.jpg

bondsbatlag_zpsb3677bb3.jpg

sl

puff puff pass! How about some game video and then instead of "If I had the next frame I believe.." speculation we might actually see how the actions move into and out of the frame in question. Of course then we'll likely see that there is very little correlation between what Bonds does and what your DD does but that's just speculation again on my part given the lack of video.

R

RayR

Yes, the barrel needs to catch up (to be a reedonkulously simple as possible) and the only way to do that is to get the hands/wrists/forearms turning that thing immediately....

:confused:so she needs to have that happen sooner than she is currently doing so that her arms will not be as extended when she makes contact? Is that right? - (I am waiting for the "Batting made ridiculously simple" thread)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1