help with 2 girls with the same number.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
You're the coach, if you can't tell them what their number is going to be for the season and have them accept it, then how are you supposed to tell them anything else?

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm with CoachJV, as in "Are you serious?" A coach is worried about telling a kid that she will get a different number? If some child or parent is so mentally fragile that changing the number on her uniform will cause a meltdown, then perhaps the child should refrain from playing anything competitive.

Gee whiz...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD’s # might be 78, not positive but it is 70 something. She has had the same # for 3 years so you would think I would know it but she is not a #. She is Molly.

One of my pet peeves is people calling out players numbers. Come to some of the practices and games and know the player’s names.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We know all the kids names but call them by their numbers. Com'mon 6. Way to go 6. We put their numbers on everything. Those magnetic softballs found on the backs of softball cars, posters on hotel doors, shirts worn by parents. A players number does get a lot of recognition on some teams. Moving to another team don't expect you will get your number but I wouldn't expect to have to change DD's number if she was already on that team.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
No kid's emotional make-up should be tied to a number but I think she should keep it. That said, I champion the little guy especially when it appears someone's money, daddy, or family name gets them special status. Yes I had to go and find the pole barn thread and read enough to understand.

Life isn't fair but giving up the number because someone has something sets a precedent. Show the kids that we are all equal but honey some kids are a little more equal. We all are disgusted when someone of money is brought up on charges and they mysteriously go away because of who they are. It's a number today, it's that spot in the infield, the admission into that college, the recent grad in the corner office, the fastest partner in firm history. Yes, it's only a number and she better get used to it.

Maybe life is unfair enough that getting to keep a number is the least we could do.

For what it's worth, I'm a lowly systems admin and don't have anyone trying to take my job or my number. Well maybe some person in Mumbai...

You should be good, I don't think those Mumbai dudes have pole barns. Now, a magic carpet might be a problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi