help with 2 girls with the same number.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
My older DD "lost" her number 2 when she moved to 12U and a returning girl on that team already had it. For some reason, she chose 77, and she just finished her high school career with it and my younger DD is now in her 4th year with 77 too : >

So pick an unusual number and you don't have the problem -- also, I was amazed once you start looking how many 77s there actually are out there, we see at least one every weekend. Is that because 77 isn't actually that unusual or because once you start looking you see unusual things -- like when you start looking to buy a particular brand of car suddenly you see them all over the road....

Apr 1, 2010
I bet for a bunch of these kids, the number is more important to the parent, then it is to the kid.

My DD likes being lucky number 7, but I agree that the number is probably more important to me than it is to her. Once I've put money into t-shirts, sweatshirts, decals, hoodies, etc. that have a certain number on them, I don't relish the idea of having to buy new or trying to figure out some way to alter the printing to turn it into a different number.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If numbers matter so little why is it such an honor to have one retired. Not saying these kids will get their number retired but they may. DD's AAU basketball org has 2 or 3 retired numbers from girls that were 1000 pt scorers that went on to play in college.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
They are honoring the Player, not the number.

Then why not just put Ruth, Gerhig, Cobb on the outfield wall. Their number is retired, never to be used again by anyone from that org. What would you say if some phenom comes up and wants to wear Ruth's number. Hell he's dead and won't complain, should we give it to him.

An old saying comes to mind. "Dance with the one that brung ya."

So coach. What was the final decision so I don't have to tilt at this windmill anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1