Help understanding pitching Styles and Methodologies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
This is just my opinion. Not speaking for anyone else here. Check out this website for Bill Hillhouse. My DD has been going to him for a few years now. Bill keeps it simple and easy to understand.

Bill Hillhouse: House of Pitching Softball Academy

Maybe you should point us to exactly where information is that details the different pitching styles and methodologies the OP was requesting. Dont see that on his website.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Ken, I don't agree with you that step style is about the arm doing most of the work. Back in the day most pitchers used in the men's game did just that and many could flat out bring it and pitch multiple games in a day and weekend. If your mechanics are sound whether you leap or step the arm does the same thing. The leap is overrated in my book.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I thought about that when I posted. I used "most of the work" and "considered to be more effiecient" hoping that would help. I remember watching Feigner throw and I think the only thing his lower section did was store spirits.

I think the leap offers efficiency in two ways:
-Release is closer to the batter and decreases reaction time
-Timed with the plant, the energy of the stride contributes to the delivery.

Questions:
Should step-style be taught?
Why has the men's game adapted L/D?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hal,
I haven't seen it yet, but I think the new Hillhouse video would answer many of his questions. I also think the free videos and articles might offer some pitching basics to help with their search for a knowledgable PC.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like a lot of what pitchsoftball.com has, but do not care for the sections on:

-A conscious wrist snap
-That the power for step-style comes from pushing off the rubber--I believe the resistance of the plant is the same as L/D.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA