help : how to pitch accurate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2010
hi members..

can someone teach me how to pitch?
i always pitch not accurate and also slow.. :( so bad

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Before you concentrate on learning to pitch accurately you need to learn to pitch using proper mechanics. Accuracy will come over time with lots of practice as your confidence and mechanics improve. I suggest purchasing an instructional DVD (I used Michele Smith's DVDs) and learning from it, then investigating pitchiing coaches in your area and trying out different ones until one is found that you feel comfortable with. You can also search Youtube to watch how older girls pitch, but keep in mind you will see different pitches thrown which means different mechanics are employed.

To summerize:
1) learn to throw the fastball with proper mechanics & don't worry about accuracy
2) practice this one pitch regularly after warming up
3) practice different drills which isolate the pitching motion so you can understand all the different components of it.
4) after throwing the fastball pitch literally thousand of times (figure at least 300 pitches per week for a few months) then start working locations (the 4 corners)

May 11, 2009
nazreen,
I am sure not an expert but have seen some pretty amazing improvements in my DD through help on this forum, here are a few things. Bill Hillhouse's DVD Building the House is very good. It will help you in your quest. Also get Hal Skinners ebook and read through it completely. It too will help you a lot. Once you read Hal's book go to the very last chapter and look at his diagram on the "foundation" and base your starting point on that. You will not be disappointed. Good luck and don't give up. It is a long hard road full of ups and downs so be strong.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
nazreen;

If you (or your parents, since you have not said your age) can manage it, you should find a pitching coach nearby that can help you with proper mechanics. Once the mechanics start to become muscle memory, the speed will increase as well. If taking lessons is not an option, I would definitely recommend the Hillhouse basics DVD.

Stay with it and work hard - accept that you are not going to become Cat Osterman or Jennie Finch overnight - if pitching was easy, everyone could do it.

Jan 30, 2010
You could ask some of your local high school pitchers if they could help you out or even watch a pitching session.
Thats how my DD and I got started and then the pitching coach helped us out with lessons.
DVD's and You Tube helped alot also.
Be prepared to work hard and often. Good Luck.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
This young beginning pitcher is 20 years old, plays first base for her college. No pitching instructors around at all, Malaysia.

Hal

Jan 31, 2010
This young beginning pitcher is 20 years old, plays first base for her college. No pitching instructors around at all, Malaysia.

Hal

:) thanks..

here(malaysia) so hard to get coach, my college also don't have coach.

here don't have any place for training, i mean, i don't have any machine to play, like you all training. got machine to pitch, and big place to training pitching...

we just traing at field :( :(

malaysia, softball is not famaous. so many my friend dont know what is softball.. so sad :mad:

Oct 22, 2009
nazreen, first let me say how much I admire your guts and determination to take on such a monumental task such as being a first time pitcher at the ripe ol age of 20 in college!
Second, don't get hard on yourself! Your amazing!
3rd-- Relax, warm up 1/2 distance getting your release and timing then work back. Pitch TONS of batting practice to your team.
4th--I know you love this game, keep trying to get to your friends interested with a little friendly game every now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom