Heat or ice???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is one of those things that change from decade to decade.

When I got my degree in PE, 30 years ago, it was ice, heat, ice, heat, ice - always starting with ice and ending with ice.

Then, it went to just ice.

What works with my own body, is just ice.

I believe that ice warms up the blood vessels quicker than heat.

I do carry ice with me that goes on the pitcher as soon as she is done.

Also, I ice the catchers knees and arm.

Trying to get a 10 yo to leave ice on for 10-15 minutes is hard enough w/o trying to figure how to heat an arm on a ride home.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Typically - Ice first to fight inflammation (constricts blood flow and prevents further fluid accumulation) and then heat to relax muscles and allow MORE blood flow to bring the nutrients to take care of repair and regeneration.

Marc

Mar 13, 2010
I've always done heat, unless I'm injured. I usually do a slow warm down and then its my jacket on and let my arm cool down nautrally. I've only ever had one shoulder injury and that was a mechanics issue more than anything.

The only time I iced my arm other than last year with the injury, was after a weekend of six games of pitching. Every other pitcher was injured and I had to pitch all six games. I was 22 and my arm was practiclly hanging by the end of it. Thankfully one of the dads was a phsyio so I get massages in between every game, but it was iced quite heavily both nights after the games and throughout the rest of the week.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am glad to read all of this varying information. Boy, the treatment for the sprained ankle seemed brutal. Kudos to you and your DD.

My friend that played 4 years of football at West Va. said that they used ice exclusively and rested if there was a lingering injury. I also guess that they were given pain pills, but that is a different subject.

I am fortunate enough to have a spa/pool. (spool) It is a jetted pool that can be heated to 104 degrees. I often call it the fountain of youth. I think that it would be perfect for recovery from a lingering injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes