Cutting players because of injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
The coach is a moron. Having said that if it were a pitcher or catcher you are going to have to find a sub unless you have that kid that used to pitch/catch and can fill in when needed.

You should definitely find a new coach/team.
Right a sub is one thing, but he said cut. Ya I agree that he is a moron, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t over reacting by being mad about it.

Feb 15, 2017
My DD has struggled this summer with shoulder impingement, which is a painful condition due to muscle imbalance in the rotator cuff.

Well her coach said something that irritated me, basically he said we’re lucky he’s not like real travel ball coaches because they would cut a player for being injured or to motivate them. This really irritated me because my DD is one the hardest working girls on the team and it’s not like she can control her body or an injury.

So I’m curious, I’ve not once heard of a tb coach cutting a kid because she was/is injured, has anyone had this experience?
It happens all the time. It will happen as your DD progresses.

DD played for high level 14U A team (regional team for a national org) and got a bicep injury. She was worried about not being able to attend tryouts and coach said not do worry she'd be on the team both to her and to us in emails. Tryouts come and go and she gets cut.

Daughter was crushed but her Doctor put it best and said that there are two things that will come from the injury and getting cut. One, it should motivate to recover from the injury and work so that it doesn't happen again. Two, it is a lesson that if you are hurt you can be cut. Happens I college sports (ask you to take medical waiver scholarship) and it pro sports if you can't play, you get cut.

That being said, at the travel level I think it is a crap move to cut someone if they are hurt. Now of they want to say you've got to earn your playing time back when you come back, that should be expected.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2021
My DD has struggled this summer with shoulder impingement, which is a painful condition due to muscle imbalance in the rotator cuff.

Well her coach said something that irritated me, basically he said we’re lucky he’s not like real travel ball coaches because they would cut a player for being injured or to motivate them. This really irritated me because my DD is one the hardest working girls on the team and it’s not like she can control her body or an injury.

So I’m curious, I’ve not once heard of a tb coach cutting a kid because she was/is injured, has anyone had this experience?
I am totally with you. That coach certainly crossed the line just saying that. Teens and tweens will let that eat them up.
Totally unacceptable to cut because of injury. It happens to all athletes. Is that coach going to magically replace every player by the end of the season?

Now ..... you have a contract to back you up. Pretty much every TB team membership is a contract. You satisfy your side by paying a fee and showing up. They have to satisfy their side by providing training, facilities, number of tournies/league.

That is a simple explanation/start but very real.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Right a sub is one thing, but he said cut. Ya I agree that he is a moron, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t over reacting by being mad about it.

He might be a moron, or you might be over reacting. It's really impossible to tell on a message board without understanding the personalities and context. If you're around most anyone long enough, they'll say or do something that offends, but that doesn't make them a "moron", or even a bad coach. All of us have attempted a joke that went flat, or simply said something that we later wish we hadn't. I don't know if that was the case here, but it's possible. I eventually learned to heavily filter my commentary for parents who were only casual softball acquaintances, and look past the occasional less-than-enlightened comment from the otherwise good HC.

BTW, cutting someone "due to injury" is simply an excuse for something else.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802