Having a first time player and trying to help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2011
Hello everyone!

I am brand new to this board in hopes that I could get any help I could. My DD is 6 and is taking her first year of softball. I orginally didnt want her to play simply b/c when we tried soccer at 3, she wasnt interested in playing at all. Brushing it off as just what they do at that age, I agree to let her play softball.

Ive been trying to work with her on the basics. My thinking is to work on one thing at a time and then string it all together. So we work on throwing, catching (both on the ground and in air), and hitting. We do maybe about 5-10 of each thing and then move on to the next. Well, she just doesnt want to listen to me. Im doing my best of just staying positive and praising her when I see an improvement. We get to practice and shes just not paying attention to the coaches either. She keeps telling me that she just wants to play on the playground (thats when my mind goes, well then why did we sign you up in the first place! *wallbash*)

Im just at a loss on what to do. I know the best thing for her is to keep playing catch and home whenever we get free time but she doesnt want to do that. She basically tells me she already knows how to do it and she doesnt need my help. As a mom, that line breaks my heart and hurts my feelings like no other.

Is there anything I can do more just to help her out ?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Its a long road ahead. 6 yoa you are lucky if they keep their shoes tied. My DD would dance in the outfield during games. Just enjoy this time. Just you being involved and playing catch when you can and she wants to, puts you ahead of the curve. keep up the good work.

Mar 13, 2010
She's 6. This is what six year olds do. She's not going to be this super focussed player.

I have kids in my team who are slightly older. They have playground time as a reward from their parents.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Well, she just doesnt want to listen to me.

Do you think she'll be better listener at 16YOA?

Make softball a fun "mommy-daughter" time. You toss the ball around a little, she gets bored and chases butterflies, you chase butterflies with her, and then you throw the softball some more, then go chase butterflies some more, etc. All you are trying to do is get her used to the game.

It is important for her to socialize at the game. The more she develops some buddies, the easier it is to get her to practice.

Enjoy these years--they certainly pass much too quickly.

Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the responses! I know at this age its hard to keep them focused but I guess for me its just hard to see the other 6 girls on her team pay attention to whats going on while my kid is totally not paying attention. An example is the other day she was on base and she was told the next hit to run to 3rd. Hit came and she stayed on base simply b/c she forgot what they told her, the time difference between the 2 was only a minute at max.

I try to not get all up in her business at practice, most of the time Im chasing after DS while shes at practice but I do try to sneak in a few mins of watching and encourage when I can.

Thankfully my sister is coming back to town, shes been a big help the one weekend she was up(my sister has been playing since she was 5, has been to 3 NSA World Series, played every position but pitcher etc). Im thinking maybe learning from someone else for a little bit may help her out. I saw when my sister taught her how to throw it looked really good but when I tried to follow up, DD just got lazy.

Mar 13, 2010
An example is the other day she was on base and she was told the next hit to run to 3rd. Hit came and she stayed on base simply b/c she forgot what they told her, the time difference between the 2 was only a minute at max.

If you know a way to fix this please tell! My littlies do it too. So it's not just your daughter.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is t-ball, isn't it? Let her have fun. It took me a few years to learn this lesson, but unless the kid brings the game up - don't mention it.

How many more games does she have? I am a stickler for staying with what you sign up for. I am a softball fanatic, but I skipped t-ball and coach pitch with my kids. I taught them in the front yard and in the neighborhood. I know for certain that my DD didn't sign up for baseball until 3rd grade and my pitching son was somewhat older than that. I see girls come to my lessons that are 12 yo and never thrown a ball.

Find what your DD likes, this summer - even if it is the reading club at the library and embrace it. Both of my parents were professional entertainers, I can remember trying to sing (I can't) and they would offer advice, that I didn't want or think that I needed. If you push, she is going to push back.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
At this age you want to minimize the coaching and spend more time just playing.

She will stop listening to you, and other people, if she gets coached eveytime she picks up a softball.

Games at this age are brutal, I am pretty sure I would be chasing butterflys in the outfield too. Not sure about dancing but maybe.

You can work on running thru 1st base after you hit the ball for weeks in practice, the 1st "real" game I would make a bet 90% of the players will stop on the base. You just need to be patient, coach a little bit, but mostly make sure that they are having fun.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
My oldest daughter is 12 and plays high level travel ball as a pitcher. She practices and plays 6 days a week and is self motivated. I'm also a TB coach and know what kind of dedication is necessary to play the game at a high level.

My youngest daughter is 6 and is playing her first year of 7u rec ball. She spends half the practice learning to hit, catch, and throw, and the other half making sandcastles in the dirt and pretending to be a "cheetah" running around in the outfield. THIS IS PERFECTLY FINE! She's having a great time and learning how to interact on a team.

Let her have fun. The best 7u players are not the best 10u players, and the worst 7u players are not the worst 10u players, skill really doesn't matter at this point. They're just supposed to get exposure and instruction on the game while given the opportunity to fall in love with it. They wont' fall in love if they're not having a great time.

-W

Apr 7, 2011
Lozza - That makes me feel alot better.

Ok, im going to step back a bit have her just enjoy it but still play catch from time to time with her. I tried to give her little references so that she remember to do them (I ask her where her chicken arms are when shes batting as a reminder to bring her elbows up), its hit or miss if she remembers them.

This is a 6u team. They are coach pitched for 5 pitches if they dont hit then they bring out the tee.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32