Having a first time player and trying to help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Is there anything I can do more just to help her out ?

Yes, plenty.

1) Back off, and let her be 6.
2) Back off, and let her be 6.
3) Repeat steps 1 & 2 until she is 7, and then back off and let her be 7.

Even for a really advanced child, 3 is incredibly early to start an organized sport. There's a lot of crazy expressed in your post and I'm glad you're finding this out now. Hope this helps! :D

All the advice you need is contained in the posts above, so I'm just piling on and sharing my anecdotes. My 8yo DD is a really good player, so she moved up to play 10u this season and is one of the best players on her team. She's focused when playing or practicing at the field, but occasionally takes mental breaks when practicing at home in the backyard with dad. At home, it's fun time for us that doesn't have to be totally serious. And even after a tough team practice at the park, she still looks forward to getting over to the playground before we have to go home...just as she's been doing ever since she first began playing 4 years ago.

I can't make you enjoy this journey with your daughter, but I can guarantee that the time will go by a lot faster than you might think. Watching the t-ballers play yesterday brought back memories I never realized I cherished so greatly.

Nov 29, 2009
Im just at a loss on what to do. I know the best thing for her is to keep playing catch and home whenever we get free time but she doesnt want to do that. She basically tells me she already knows how to do it and she doesnt need my help. As a mom, that line breaks my heart and hurts my feelings like no other.

Don't let yourself get hurt by this. What you have is the first of many choices your daughter will make in her life that you may not agree with. Unfortunately at 6 she doesn't have the life experience to make it less painful to you let alone understand this is something you think she'll really like. Give her time. You can't force her into doing something because YOU like it. Let her experience many, many different things even if they are not sports related. She may like dance, theater, cheer leading or any of a number of different things.

You never know what she'll like. She may come back to playing softball with a vengeance when she turns 8. Only time will tell. Two of the coaches my daughter played for had daughters who were dancers. So you never know. Unfortunately, kids don't come with an owners manual. You'll have to play it by ear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32