Have you ever.........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yup, you bet. This was before I was an actual softball coach. I had taken my oldest daughter to her rec league softball practice, indoors in a gym, and the coach asked me to toss some popups to some of the girls so they could get some experience with balls in the air. I think she was about nine at the time. I dutifully tossed the balls until one came down right on the nose of a very inexperienced girl. I felt awful, and that may have been the end of her softball playing days. Which in retrospect was probably for the best for her.

Nov 29, 2009
Bloodied or broke a kids nose with a softball or baseball?

No, but I got a couple of them in the forehead. No blood fortunately. LOADS and LOADS of shins... ;)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Happened yesterday and happened last year with the Manager just throwing to his kid.

Both times were an Adult throwing to a player easily, stuff happens.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yep...mouth with braces, nose bloodied and many other parts of the body. I pulled the permit for a township park practice field and we were lucky that they cut the grass. If they drug the infield once every 4 years we were spoiled that year. It's usually on this field that it happened.

Aug 2, 2008
Well I dont feel better but at least I am not alone.

Hard to say how many thousands of throws I have made to kids without incident. It was in a gym with only a second baseman and SS, working on turns and tosses. I was demonstrating to 2b how I wanted it at the same time she was going through the motions. As soon as I let it go there was nothing I could do. Instant blood and a crooked nose, the first thing she said was "I am not crying my eyes are just watering" I stopped the bleeding and drove my daughter to the hospital.

Only slight cartalidge damage and has already straightened itself out after the swelling went down.

It was even a softie ball.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
never broke anything but bloodied noses several times. I don't think any were on hard throws-all that I can think of were pop-ups or casual throws (playing catch) where the girl just missed or the ball went off her glove and hit her in the face. I also would make sure that the candidates for bloody noses kept their facemasks on in practice.

the worst one for me was not playing softball, it was playing soccer. oldest DD was maybe in the 2nd grade and wanted to play goal. I was kicking some easy shots (I swear I wasn't kicking them hard) to her in the backyard and one lifted off my foot. One minute it's all smiles and fun in the backyard and the next thing you know you just kicked a soccerball into your DD's face and she's crying with a mouth full of blood. Fortunately it wasn't bad, mostly scared her- hit her in the mouth and knocked out a loose tooth that we never found.

Jan 25, 2011
Well,my dd gave me a bloody nose,I was catching my dd as she was pitching.You know how it is when you are trying to watch your dd's mech. and trying to catch at the same time.I was having a girl stand in the batters box and was suppose to be just there to watch,well this girl decided to swing,not really trying to hit the ball but messing with my dd.I was watching my dd,when the girl decided to take a cut at the ball.It didnt work out so well for me,I was taken by suprise and completely missed catching the ball with my glove,instead I used my face,my nose turned on like a fountain,I think about it now it is funny,but then not so funny.Well it didnt improve my looks much,but I need more then a nose job then that!!

Oct 14, 2008
Diddnt break it but sure enough bloodied it. Did it to my dd when she was maybe 8 or so, just tossing in the front yard. She never let on,we wiped it off and acted like nothing happened until..... the wife pulled up then the tears began ........ dad was in the dog house again lol.

Tim

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06