Have you ever.........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Had a girl on one of my 10U teams who was a ball magnet. She must have been hit 15 times over the course of a season. At the end of the year team party would give out gag gifts to the kids. For her we bought a teddy bear and a bunch of softball stickers. We put a sticker on the bear every place she got hit at. She was all smiles and the team got a good laugh out of it.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Last year at our first rec. league summer ball practice we were running a drill and typical young girls, as they were, were talking an not paying attention. The line eased it's way closer to the girl catching the ball and eventually the girl missed the ball and the line was so close to her that another girl got plopped on the head. No biggie, except she had her sunglasses on top of her head and the ball smashed the nose clip into her head. we were busy consoling the girl until blood began to gush from the wound. She got 4 stitches. It was the girls first time ever playing ball and we figurd she was done, but she showed up the next practice ready to go with a mask. Of course every ball that got hit to her the rest of the year she would let roll past her and then go pick it up. Atleast she kept showing up!

Jun 22, 2010
Kind of the reverse, actually.

I was coaching a team several years ago, and I was working with some players on one field while an assistant worked on another. For reasons as yet unknown to me, he was hitting to them off of a live pitcher, and he wasn't wearing a helmet. (I think maybe he was confused, and thought he was ON the team. :))

Anyway, the catcher was a tall, strong girl - about 13 at the time, I guess - and she came up throwing after a pitch just as he looked back at her (again, no idea why he was doing any of this). The ball hit him square in the forehead, and the sound of the impact alerted me on the next field. He was fine, but he had the imprint of the softball's laces in his forehead for a good week after. Leading him to be nicknamed "Laces" at work for years after. (Also leading him not to be left to coach alone any more!)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When DD pitches inside I am right in front of a wall, told another parent if the ball gets by you do not look back. They didn’t understand until a ball got by them, they turned and the ball plastered them right in the face.

Some lessons you need to learn the hard way. :)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Yup, grounders (bad hop) and fly balls. With less experienced girls I use Incrediballs for fly balls now.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Hit my daugher several times. Have one better. My daughter was in 7th grade and playing catch with an older girl (Freshman at the time) and both are pitchers. Older girl decides to put my daughter to the test and starts throwing harder and harder. Daughter picks up on it until they are both throwing as hard as they can. Older girl tries to show up my daughter by being cool (Lazy) when she catches the ball. Girl misses the ball and takes it square in the nose, blood everywhere. She still has no time for my daughter and now they are competing for a pitching spot on the HS team (Will be an interesting year).

Jun 18, 2010
Last summer, first game of my son's baseball season 9U. First year for kid pitch. My son was going to pitch the second half of the game... During warm ups, there were an odd number of boys, so I was playing warm up catch with my son. I threw the ball, for some reason he didn't get his glove up enough and the ball clipped the top of his glove and hit him right in the nose. We have an ER Doctor (parent), on the team. I called him over... broken nose. Wife and I took him to urgent care. Part of his nose was flat (looked terrible). He had two black eyes. DW took him to the Ear, Nose & Throat doctor, ended up having to have is nose operated on to fix it.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Yep, 1 in 3 years now. Fly ball work with the outfield and it knicked the glove but got the nose good. She ended up having surgery to get it fixed. We have done fly's since then and now with a mask she is still going at them full speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG