Hands straight to the ball?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
Yeah that's not bad verbiage. I'd encourage everyone to refer back frequently to the hitters on Siggy's site comparing what they are doing to what all of us on here are saying. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

check out the troy glaus video on hitting low pitches - his elbow never goes above his front shoulder and it stays bent and in a downward position in follow through
his swing is built to hit HR... everyone is different based on their approach - imho there is more than one way to approach a pitch and everybody is different based on body build, bat speed, etc

May 12, 2008
check out the troy glaus video on hitting low pitches - his elbow never goes above his front shoulder and it stays bent and in a downward position in follow through
his swing is built to hit HR... everyone is different based on their approach - imho there is more than one way to approach a pitch and everybody is different based on body build, bat speed, etc

I wouldn't focus on whether the elbow is above or below whatever. I'd focus on how everything stays in plane-shoulder rotation, lead arm and bat. This would be true for anyone not trying to beat the ball into the ground like some slappers do.

Oct 25, 2009

With just a minor adjustment Glaus would have better extension if he did keep the front elbow more flexed. His extension would be much better. Most of the swings I've seen of him his lead arm cuts his swings short. Glaus may not even be aware of what a positive difference that small adjustment could make. Back when Charlie Lau worked with George Brett, Brett didn't know what a difference extension would make. The drill they call "hand over" on this site is the old Charlie Lau drill that he used with Brett.

I do agree when teaching that sometimes it's best to work with what the player already has. Within reason.

Feb 4, 2010
With just a minor adjustment Glaus would have better extension if he did keep the front elbow more flexed. His extension would be much better. Most of the swings I've seen of him his lead arm cuts his swings short. Glaus may not even be aware of what a positive difference that small adjustment could make. Back when Charlie Lau worked with George Brett, Brett didn't know what a difference extension would make. The drill they call "hand over" on this site is the old Charlie Lau drill that he used with Brett.

I do agree when teaching that sometimes it's best to work with what the player already has. Within reason.

he's getting the ball on the sweet spot thats why his hands are in tight and true extension occurs after contact

Feb 4, 2010
I wouldn't focus on whether the elbow is above or below whatever. I'd focus on how everything stays in plane-shoulder rotation, lead arm and bat. This would be true for anyone not trying to beat the ball into the ground like some slappers do.

i guess my point on front elbow flying up and out is it causes your back shoulder to drop creating the upward swing... i like the swing to be slightly downward/level thru contact and extend thru contact just slightly higher...

we can all beat this topic to death... analysis leads to paralysis... like a guy said earlier - see the ball, hit the ball - you can do a lot of things wrong and still hit - look around the MLB - there are many examples of people who don't have great technique - to me the guys/gals who don't have the bat speed, strength - they have to be technicians

May 12, 2008
i guess my point on front elbow flying up and out is it causes your back shoulder to drop creating the upward swing... i like the swing to be slightly downward/level thru contact and extend thru contact just slightly higher...

That's not what I see elite hitters doing. This is more like what I see them doing. Photo 5 of 16, Fastpitch

Oct 12, 2009
... i like the swing to be slightly downward/level thru contact and extend thru contact just slightly higher...

Like this...?

V_H_HD_BB_Public_JoeThurston_3B_FT_090005_60FPS_C.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad