Hands straight to the ball?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Wow, I like the way that device shows perfect barrell path so simply. That is made almost idiot proof & just what I need!! do you sell the thing, or have any specs for a guy to make his own?? Straight- thanks for going to the effort to video it for us. Lane

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Wow, I like the way that device shows perfect barrell path so simply. That is made almost idiot proof & just what I need!! do you sell the thing, or have any specs for a guy to make his own?? Straight- thanks for going to the effort to video it for us. Lane

JC

The ball length distance is adjustable and the ball was too far which is why she hit it off the end of the bat. Notice there is a pin in place and about 18 holes in one inch increments to compensate for the different lengths of elbow to finger tip length and different bat lengths so it is more visual. Position the ball more rearward at an angle and then it is an outside pitch etc. We wanted to be able to show the relationship of elbow hand bat head and ball at the clinics quicker as we normally only have them for 4 to 6 hours.We teach balance, head down, grip, stance and throwing first. Then using the big zone and the hand path device at the same time, the rope drill,the matrix drill, face the fire drill and we can make an impact pretty fast in a short amount of time in our opinion.

Gerry thank you for taking the time to film this as I know there will be some people who will try to find every flaw in your demonstration or her swing! Thank Casey for me also for taking the time in her busy life to give back to help someone else.

Thanks Howard

May 11, 2009
Hitter & Gerry thanks for posting that!! I have looked at your device and several times and could not visualize how it worked. That is awesome!! If you don't mind....what is the curved "paddle" piece that the elbow tucks into made of?
Thanks
Mike

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Hitter & Gerry thanks for posting that!! I have looked at your device and several times and could not visualize how it worked. That is awesome!! If you don't mind....what is the curved "paddle" piece that the elbow tucks into made of?
Thanks
Mike

Mike a friend of mine works making braces and prosthetic s and he gives me pieces he can not use. I heat it up with a blow torch and bend it and then spray it with water and it sets up and holds it shape. Plexiglas would do the same thing it just may be thicker.

Thanks Howard

Oct 19, 2009
Thanks Gerry for posting the video and Howard for allowing the demonstration of your hand path device. This looks very interesting. Does it work for contact to different areas of the hitting zone?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks Gerry for posting the video and Howard for allowing the demonstration of your hand path device. This looks very interesting. Does it work for contact to different areas of the hitting zone?

Yes in my opinion as the lead elbow, hand below the elbow and bat angle are all relevant to where the ball is.

I designed it primarily for hands inside the path of the ball to give the kids a jump start to what they see on a video verses reality with an actual bat in their hand. I think also that the tilt and turn as to the location for the pitch can be staged to give them an awareness.

Peppers the following statement has nothing to do with you or your questions and no one on THIS board that contributes to helping others, it is just on my mind:

If it works to help you then it was worth it and I am sure someone will find fault in it as GOD forbid it may not be an exact replication of the Elite MLB swing pattern and what we teach is taught in steps and has a sequence and then used in actual motion. Without critics all art would be the same just like it has to do with teaching hitting...boring!

I actually wonder if a lot of people that teach hitting only work with the gifted kids and pass on the kids that are challenged mentally or physically to us? And I am positive they all have an MLB person they helped along the way to the big leagues that they helped get there so that makes them an expert. I am equally sure there is no variation in each kid and the same approach is never varied from when teaching just like a teacher in school never has to wonder why some kids get A's and others get D's and some do not get it at all, so forget about the kid, parent and coach who does not understand or struggles with understanding the Elite MLB swing pattern for their daughter! I feel better now!

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
if hands to the ball were the only thing you said, I'd agree

It can create disconnection.

I am working with a borderline major leaguer right now who's borderline because he was taught to take his hands to the ball. That has created a problem with disconnection and problems adjusting to off-speed pitches.

Not familiar with your term "disconnection", guess I'm not smart enough to figure that out

the term hands to the ball I think was born out of trying to get hitters to not "cast" or "sweep" their swing - in other words to help shorten their swing...

I don't know how having a short swing with hands going towards (inside) ball hurt a player on off-speed pitches

i find it hard to understand without seeing - so message boards are hard to use to help hitting... everyone has their own terms in describing things... anyone else feel that way?

Feb 4, 2010

in this video - the hitter is overexaggarating what i call hands to the ball - i've seen that while hitters warm up in the on deck circle and between pitches - when i say hands to the ball that is not what i'm talking about - again everyone has their own terminology and it's hard to understand when there isn't a common link...

Feb 4, 2010
It might make sense if you're hitting the ball with the knob or the handle, but that's about it.

how do you explain to young hitter the path their hands should take when swinging at a pitch? regardless of location - just in general a pitch down the middle?

Feb 4, 2010

their used to be a product on the market called "shortstroke trainer" which was around $350 which kinda does what this is intended to do. The problem I see watching the video is sometimes her front elbow goes way up high - and in my world that's wrong - elbows should stay down through the swing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes