Hands straight to the ball?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
I was taught by another coach at the 10U level that the girls should start with their hands up and back, level with the ears, load and bring the bat straight to the ball. What are the thoughts on this technique. Of course it also included turning the hips and follow through, but I am mostly curious about thoughts on "take the bat straight to the ball".

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2009
I was taught by another coach at the 10U level that the girls should start with their hands up and back, level with the ears, load and bring the bat straight to the ball. What are the thoughts on this technique. Of course it also included turning the hips and follow through, but I am mostly curious about thoughts on "take the bat straight to the ball".

Which part of the bat? The knob? The barrel?

In general, I think that's a dangerous cue.

Feb 4, 2010
why?

Which part of the bat? The knob? The barrel?

In general, I think that's a dangerous cue.

in general - since the hands are attached to the handle/knob area - if you take the hands straight to the ball that is ok

i've heard many a coach simplifiy it in this manor

why do you say it is dangerous?

Oct 12, 2009
in general - since the hands are attached to the handle/knob area - if you take the hands straight to the ball that is ok. i've heard many a coach simplifiy it in this manor. why do you say it is dangerous?

It can create disconnection.

I am working with a borderline major leaguer right now who's borderline because he was taught to take his hands to the ball. That has created a problem with disconnection and problems adjusting to off-speed pitches.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I greatly dislike the "hands to the ball" cue. The "sweet spot" is about 21" away from the hands. You have got to condition your brain to create an angle from the ball that will allow for this "21". For example a low down the middle pitch - I wouldn't want my hands going to the ball. I would want my hands above the ball and my barrel 21" away whipping into the ball.

Oct 12, 2009
I greatly dislike the "hands to the ball" cue. The "sweet spot" is about 21" away from the hands. You have got to condition your brain to create an angle from the ball that will allow for this "21". For example a low down the middle pitch - I wouldn't want my hands going to the ball. I would want my hands above the ball and my barrel 21" away whipping into the ball.

It might make sense if you're hitting the ball with the knob or the handle, but that's about it.

May 13, 2008
I think that the "hands to the ball" cue originally meant to take the hands towards the pitcher or forward. I like "keep the hands inside, release the hands, barrel to the ball" better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan