Hand position at 3 O'-Clock?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Rick, or others ... assuming a palm-down orientation at 3-o'clock is desirable, is there a best way to approach that coming out of the glove (6-o'clock)? Is coming out of the glove with an orientation of a hand-shake, palm towards 1B (righty), correct ... or should the orientation already be palm-down ... or does it matter?
For a righty, when coming off the rubber at 3, the hand position is most desirable when the knuckles lead. This will prevent excess rotation within the shoulder socket when coming over the top. I like to see the ball face 3rd at 12:00, then orientate to approx palm up or somewhere between the two by 9:00. By doing these two, the shoulder will only internally rotate approx 90 degrees rather than 180... this can cause a hitch at 12 if a full 180 degree turn happens at the top of the circle

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Rick and james,
Since the lower arm rotates independently of the upper, how does hand orientation affect the shoulder joint?

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Rick and james,
Since the lower arm rotates independently of the upper, how does hand orientation affect the shoulder joint?

Next time out throwing bp, or just goofing off, try ball going up handshake position, then palm down. I feel more stress in my shoulder palm down, hardly any with handshake pos. May just be me.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Next time out throwing bp, or just goofing off, try ball going up handshake position, then palm down. I feel more stress in my shoulder palm down, hardly any with handshake pos. May just be me.

Interesting. I have a history of shoulder trouble, and palm down at 3 o'clock is the only thing that I don't feel. I also feel like I'm forcing the ball to get palm up at 9 o'clock if I'm at handshake position at 3. If I'm palm down at 3, I just kind of naturally (maybe I should say "without effort") get to palm up at 9.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH

I feel something different between them as well. In or under the deltoid. The arm is neutral in the handshake, the humerus has rotated at palm down. I don't know if I'd call what I feel strain or stress though.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Rick, or others ... assuming a palm-down orientation at 3-o'clock is desirable, is there a best way to approach that coming out of the glove (6-o'clock)? Is coming out of the glove with an orientation of a hand-shake, palm towards 1B (righty), correct ... or should the orientation already be palm-down ... or does it matter?

One thing that I have noticed in my DD is that when she dropped the ball out of her glove in her back swing with her hand in a handshake position her elbow straightened and she had trouble getting the flexion in it as she moved up towards 12:00. When she drops from the glove with the back of her hand towards home plate she keeps more flexion in her elbow. It never comes straight and she has better whip.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
One thing that I have noticed in my DD is that when she dropped the ball out of her glove in her back swing with her hand in a handshake position her elbow straightened and she had trouble getting the flexion in it as she moved up towards 12:00. When she drops from the glove with the back of her hand towards home plate she keeps more flexion in her elbow. It never comes straight and she has better whip.

I don't know if it's an absolute though or even what it means. There are images of Scarborough and Finch reaching the top of their back swing with a locked elbow and palm facing catcher and Ueno with her elbow locked and her palm facing down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00