Going to Interview for Varsity Softball Position Monday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Got the job! Now the freaking out begins! Thank you everybody for the advice, it was very helpful in the interview!

Congratz... I knew you would, you did your home work, and was getting lotz of good advice!!! Seemed to me you were leaving no stone unturned. Now you got your on advisory counsel group going... there are guys on here that could take the junior team USA and beat Japan.

Bring it!!!

Oct 22, 2012
Hahaha, I really love all the responses, and I appreciate all the good wishes. It is a small school in Indiana, and they lost 6 starting seniors from a team that won sectionals last year, so needless to say, I have my work in store for me.

I will be on for advice (no doubt) and giving updates on the team. Great site and great people too!

Nov 29, 2009
Three things when it comes to HS girls. First. Put the team conduct rules out there in writing at the very first meeting and outline your expectations of the players AND the parents. The second is be firm and be consistent from top to bottom on the team with the way you treat them. You don't always have to be right.. But be consistent. If they find any weakness in your personality they will exploit it. It's just the nature of the teenage female. Third. Keep an eye out for the Queen Bee. Make sure you keep her wings clipped. You MUST be the most dynamic personality on the team both on and off of the field.

Good luck..

PS.. Place your order now for your coaches edition of "Thick Skin."

Oct 22, 2012
Three things when it comes to HS girls. First. Put the team conduct rules out there in writing at the very first meeting and outline your expectations of the players AND the parents. The second is be firm and be consistent from top to bottom on the team with the way you treat them. You don't always have to be right.. But be consistent. If they find any weakness in your personality they will exploit it. It's just the nature of the teenage female. Third. Keep an eye out for the Queen Bee. Make sure you keep her wings clipped. You MUST be the most dynamic personality on the team both on and off of the field.

Good luck..

PS.. Place your order now for your coaches edition of "Thick Skin."

Hahaha, good advice. We have our callout meeting next Wednesday. Anything specific I should let the girls know? Is this a good time to pass out rules and regulations, or is this more of a meet and greet? A small school like this has a lot of two sport athletes, so I will not have a lot of my regular girls until basketball season is over in February/March.

Also, any good ideas for quick fundraising ideas? I plan on having two tag-days (one in Nov and Dec) and I want to have a hit-a-thon, but that's not until April/May.

Nov 29, 2009
We have our callout meeting next Wednesday. Anything specific I should let the girls know? Is this a good time to pass out rules and regulations, or is this more of a meet and greet?

Do a meet & greet at first. Get to know them. Then get the rules out there from the start in writing. Make sure the AD approves them and has a copy. The BIGGEST issue to hit hard is respecting every team member, both on and off of the field. With social media playing such a big part in a lot of the girl's interactions today you have to include that as well with regards to respecting each other. Tell them they don't have to be friends. But DEMAND they respect each other. Give them no options.

Structure your practices to bust up cliques. You'll see them forming. Make sure they understand the team comes before them and yourself as an individual.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Set up booster club. Elect president, vice, treasurer. Get the parents involved to share the load that's coming your way. We always have a person who does team emails. Set up rotations for running concessions. We always have a parent cleaning day before the season for the fields and facilities.

I'd start off with a Christmas party. Our party is just the coaches and the girls ( no parents ). The girls really enjoy that. Good food, they play Dirty Santa ( $20 gift ). Coach always has it at his house and the girls dress up. Nice way to bond.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Be careful who your friends are. You can't just let whomever volunteers, help. So, have something rehearsed to say. "I may not be able to take on any volunteers, this year." Look for school managers that can help.

Get the girls practice uniforms. You would be surprised how many girls show up in blue jeans and tank tops.

Teach sliding on day 1.

Have fun.

Apr 1, 2010
Congratulations, Coach!

You probably know this already, but make sure you are never alone with one of the girls. I was a high-school aged girl once and I remember that some girls were very attracted to young male teachers. They are young, stupid and full of hormones. You've got to protect them and yourself.

And yes, teach sliding. Don't take their word for it that they're great sliders. Insist that everyone slide, slide, slide. :) Same with bunting. No one is too good to slide and bunt!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
And you know this, too. But put some limits on how much you text team members. Keep it schedule related only. Decide what to do, if you have FB. There are a lot of problems today, that some of us never had 10 years, ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom