Going to Interview for Varsity Softball Position Monday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2012
So one week from today I will be going in for an interview for an open varsity softball position at a school in town. I have been the boys baseball JV head coach for the past three years at a different school, but previously I had been an assistant coach for a 14U travel softball team (I am a teacher and had played baseball as a kid, and that was the only position open when I was hired).

Anyway, I has hoping I could get some advice from some of the people on here about what kind of materials I should get prepared for my interview. Will the AD want a practice schedule, how we practice, fundraising ideas, etc. (and if there is something they are looking to hear, PLEASE LET ME KNOW). Also, if you know of anything that might come up in the interview, questions or scenario wise, that would be great to know too.

I am very anxious and hope that I am prepared, but any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 13, 2010
Will the AD want a practice schedule, how we practice, fundraising ideas, etc.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. It probably wouldn't hurt to go with signals, ideas on how to grow the girls skills as well. Better to be overpreapered then under right?

Oct 22, 2012
Hahaha, very true. Do you think the interview will be more about the game of softball itself (my ability to coach) or more on how to actually run a program?

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I brought anything and everything when I interviewed for my high school coachig position. Practice plans, drills, softball resume. They didn't ask for much other than my experience and how I would handle specific situtations but were impressed by all that I prepared. (if you don;t need it than oh well but you would rather that happen than you need something and not have it).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to the inteview, there is the "softball geek" side that is interested in your experience, your skills, your drills, etc. But, if that is the only way you approach it, you won't get the job.

But, schools are not looking for someone who just wins. They are looking for a person who can make it a rich and rewarding experience for *ALL* the girls. The coach has to be a good role model. The coach also has to be interested in the development of the girls into responsible adults. So, you need to be prepared to talk about what you hope for the kids to learn even if they lose every game.

The tough questions: What are you going to do with the 15th player on the team? What role does she have? What can she get out of being on the softball team? How are you going to handle parent concerns?

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Slugger is right on. I interviewed for a varsity job in August. What kind of life lessons are you going to teach the athletes besides covering the bunt on a first and third play. Be prepared to give examples of your past success as well as failures that you have learned from. They are not looking for a know it all. After I got the position I asked, what impressed them in the interview (lifelong learner) ? The A.D. said; my passion for softball, my honest answers, and my vision for the program. Good Luck

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Do you have any competition for the job?

I asked our HS coach when DD was a freshman how he got started coaching at the HS level. He was an AC for baseball and the HC for softball moved away. Weeks went by and no one applied for the job. He said that he stuck his head in the AD's office and said "want me to coach the softball team"? The AD said "yes, when can you start". This year will be his 26th year as HC for fastpitch, he is retiring after this season.

Could be as simple as that for you too. But never hurts to be prepared.

Aug 10, 2011
California
Don't forget to also ask your questions make sure you have an administration that will back you up when you have those parents that want to go over your head. ask about your budget make a list of what you need and what.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I often wonder what qualities our AC had to get her original position. (She promoted to HC when the HC went out for the season on personal and family medical issues.)

Good luck to you!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here's a question that I'd ask if I were the AD. Are the necessary baseball and softball skills different? Is teaching/coaching boys and girls different? If so, why?

The answers I'd be looking for are No and Yes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom