"Go get her!"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Telling other umpires what he was seeing there was absolutely nothing wrong with. If as you say he was being exuberant about it, especially doing it within earshot of the general public he was out of line.

As has been mentioned, the umpires that are not calling your daughter are not doing her any favors. As I have always said, alot of pitchers get away with things for a long time but sooner or later they are going to run into an umpire that is calling it and then what are they going to do?

I will say, Umpires get defended on this site without question. Is it not possible that the OP was 100%, and the Umpire in question was out of line? Why can't other Umpires just state; "he was out of line by suggesting other Umpires go get this girl"? I'm just at a loss on many occasions here on why Umpires here can't admit that there are crappy Umpires out there that can be jerks? Just like in every other line of work. Personally, I believe every word the OP said. He didn't say his daughter should have gotten away with the IP. He merely stated the Umpire in question was out of line with his exhuberance on "getting" his daughter.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
The base ump did warn her and the coach before calling IPs which I think is acceptable. What I don't like is him telling the other umpires to "go get her", seems overzealous and uncalled for in my mind.

With that said, I would use this experience to work with your DD to make sure she is dragging her pivot foot legally. By occasionally getting IPs called on her, she will be labeled an illegal pitcher and no matter how well she pitches, this stigma is tough to break. Remember Sara Nevins (USF) and Kenzie Fowler (UoA), what are they best known for?

Rocketech1, I agree with what you have said. This is something we hope to address over the winter.

I really haven't seen this before from umps in our area for any type of call in the past 5 years I have been associated with club ball. The ump is an older fellow and was one of the gang with the other umps, so he has probably been umpiring for a long time. It is absolutely true that being her dad, I had a different response than a casual bystander.

As I said before, I don’t have a problem with the IP calls – they were mostly right. And I really don’t have a legitimate complaint with his exaggerated actions on the field to show everybody he was watching. Nor do I have a problem with him talking to the other umps.

Overzealous is a good word for the ump's attitude. Mean spirited (with the “Go get her”) springs to mind as well.

Jun 22, 2008
Is it not possible that the OP was 100%

Is it also not possible the original post was an exageration? You were not there, how can you be 100% sure the post is completely accurate? I qualified my statement and did not defend the umpire other than there being nothing wrong with sharing information with other umpires.

Jun 22, 2008
Left, probably an accurate description of events, but I was not personally there thus my qulification of my response.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Left, probably an accurate description of events, but I was not personally there thus my qualification of my response.

Comp, no problem at all. I learned a lot with this exchange. I posted it in DFP precisely to get a diversity of viewpoints and because it was so unusual.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
What would the head coach do if he was told? Go the the UIC and say what? You have an umpire telling all the other umpires I have a pitcher who throws an IP and he exuberantly said to go get her? Could it possibly be a group of younger or less experienced umpires? Like all other habits, if they can get the umpires calling IPs before it becomes habit not to call it, maybe that will change the game.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
What would the head coach do if he was told? Go the the UIC and say what? You have an umpire telling all the other umpires I have a pitcher who throws an IP and he exuberantly said to go get her? Could it possibly be a group of younger or less experienced umpires? Like all other habits, if they can get the umpires calling IPs before it becomes habit not to call it, maybe that will change the game.

All of the umpires were 55+, which looks younger to me every day. These guys have been umpiring a long time.

I couldn't see how this info would help the head coach so I didn't tell him. If he said anything to the umps it would just make them mad. No good could come from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877