Glove Position for catching drop ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
My DD's drop ball is really working well... however I am now having difficulty catching it in practice. Inevitably I end up almost breaking my thumb every time I catch one that really moves. I setup normally and track the ball in, but end up with the ball pounding and jamming my thumb and missing the pocket. My DD laughs at me and informs me it may be time for a "professional" catcher. :p

Is there a trick to it? Or is my daughter right? btw.. I do have a very nice catcher's mitt and wear a padded glove inside... but my thumb is still getting nailed.

Oct 22, 2009
How are you trying to catch it? Are you turning the glove and trying to catch it in the palm, or are you keeping it pointed at the ball and trying to "pick it"?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Lots of good new for ya today Goobie. First, if its moving so that you're having difficulty catching it, it will be hard to hit. Second, you don't have to try to hit it. Third, you know when its coming. Still all this good news doesn't help you or your hand though does it?! Rather than tracking the ball the whole way (i.e., moving the glove gradually from the initial target point to the final point of impact), try moving the glove from the target point immediately to the anticipated point of impact ( i.e., beat the ball to the spot instead of following it to the spot). You will better positioned and have slightly more time to make final adjustments to catch the ball in the preferred spot in your mitt this way. OK, now for the bad news - you're gonna take a occasional beating on the ones that don't drop as anticipated. But wait, there's more good news! That's what they make catcher's equipment for! As a former C, its my opinion that when they start pushing 55 mph w/ movement its time to enlist a real catcher so that you can still report to your day job. Regardless what that critical speed/movement level is for you, realize that if your DD senses you're not comfortable, she may subconsciously hold back, which retards her development. My DD gets $5-10/hr to catch pitching lessons for several pitchers (no charge for the pitchers on her own teams) and usually is happy to get the chance to work on technique and stay sharp.

Gear up and good luck! GM

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Thanks all. I think Greenmonster hit it on the head. When I catch from my DD I always set the glove up in the middle of the strike zone giving her a target and then track the pitch to where it is "supposed" to end up to make the catch. The problem I was having was reaching the drop ball that dropped to the outside corner (for a RH batter). Last night I setup on the outside corner of the plate, moved the glove back to the normal spot, but moved it during her motion in order to get in place for the pitch and didn't have any problems.

btw... I agree about the gear and "professional" catcher. I have been enlisting the assistance of one of her teammate catchers, however when nobody is available it falls back on me. Fortunately (I guess) my daughter is a demon on the mound and doesn't hold back when I am catching. He answer when I get ding'd is "Well.. catch it next time!" Gotta love it.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
HAHAHA, DD's PC tells me "as I am grimacing and swallowing pain" that it makes the pitcher feel confident when her catcher catches the ball.

thanks coach

Apr 14, 2010
I'm a mom who has caught my daughter through 5 years and several different pitches. Her drop ball is my dread. Its the only one that makes me nervous. I only wear a mask. No shin guards. I've taken a few hits and that part is NOT fun. I've learned on the drop to keep the glove low and out front. I try to catch it before it drops too low. I stay on my toes so I can move quickly. I used to try to wait on it but waiting on it or moving for it wasn't fast enough. I've learned that catching it out front, extending my arm out a little over the plate enables me to catch it as its dropping over the plate, and before it drops into my shins. lol When my daughter calls 'drop', I drop my head in dread and hope for the best! lol She just laughs at me every time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck