Glove issue and sizing question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
My 14yr old has small hands and plays middle infield. Her coach (former Big 10 middle infielder) suggested a small Wilson. A2000 is the model I think. I believe it's an 11.5.

A2000's are nice gloves. If your coach recommended it go for it.

In ML baseball lots of 2nd basemen use 11.5 and 11.75 gloves. I think because the pocket is smaller It helps them find the ball quicker turning a double play. Because the pocket is smaller you have less room for error. No doubt D1 fastpitch players are up to the task, DD doesnt have a glove under 12.5".

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
11.5" is very, very small for fastpitch. I don't know many infielders who use smaller than 12" gloves. Not sure about Wilson's sizing, maybe their 11.5" is larger than average.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
11.5" is very, very small for fastpitch. I don't know many infielders who use smaller than 12" gloves. Not sure about Wilson's sizing, maybe their 11.5" is larger than average.

Wilson gloves tend to run on the smaller side when compared with other manufacturers.

Jun 18, 2013
The glove is awesome. We are still working it to get it loosened up. I have conditioned it, once with the supplied conditioner and once with the Obenauf's. It never leaves the Glove Locker when it isn't in use, so it is getting broken in properly. Is there anything else I should be doing to help speed the process up? I don't have a glove mallet, but I could in 15 minutes if needed, so I have been having Cricket throw a ball into her pocket when she is just sitting around doing nothing. My hand is WAY too big to put in it to break it in, so I don't want to really do much along those lines.

We found the real issue also. Cricket had to have a physical done last week for school and they did a basic eye chart test. With her contacts in, she could only read the giant E with her right eye. She had a strabismus (lazy eye) when she was born so that eye has always been weak but not this bad. She has been playing like this for the better part of a year and not complaining. It is awful hard to catch anything when you are literally using one eye and not picking the ball up until it is 10-15 feet away. We have an appointment Thursday to get a new Rx and I plan to get her some sports goggles for the field and the basketball court. Apparently, our eye doctor in Alabama didn't think this was bad enough to cause us to need to change her Rx.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
The glove is awesome. We are still working it to get it loosened up. I have conditioned it, once with the supplied conditioner and once with the Obenauf's. It never leaves the Glove Locker when it isn't in use, so it is getting broken in properly. Is there anything else I should be doing to help speed the process up? I don't have a glove mallet, but I could in 15 minutes if needed, so I have been having Cricket throw a ball into her pocket when she is just sitting around doing nothing. My hand is WAY too big to put in it to break it in, so I don't want to really do much along those lines.

We found the real issue also. Cricket had to have a physical done last week for school and they did a basic eye chart test. With her contacts in, she could only read the giant E with her right eye. She had a strabismus (lazy eye) when she was born so that eye has always been weak but not this bad. She has been playing like this for the better part of a year and not complaining. It is awful hard to catch anything when you are literally using one eye and not picking the ball up until it is 10-15 feet away. We have an appointment Thursday to get a new Rx and I plan to get her some sports goggles for the field and the basketball court. Apparently, our eye doctor in Alabama didn't think this was bad enough to cause us to need to change her Rx.

For me the toughest part of breaking in a glove is getting the heel softened up. This Is what I do. https://youtu.be/HnuvGr1XeGY. Not a fan of beating gloves with a hammer.

Mar 29, 2013
Casedawg hooked us up with a Vinci BV1929-L 12.5 last September. Daughter too has real small hands and couldn't move it a bit but made her practice with it anyhow and keep a glove locker on it at all times. It has started breaking in nice over the time although still stiff. Just this week she commented that she can finally close it correctly. Great glove and Casedawg will take care of you.

Jun 18, 2013
We are keeping the glove locker on it at all times and playing catch with it. She moved her pinky into the ring finger slot yesterday on a whim and could actually move the glove much better but I didn't want to let her get too comfortable like that.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I found that big wraps dont hold the glove in the same position as a hand. Forcing the glove closed has not provided the best results for me. Years ago I ruined a $200 HOH by keeping it wrapped with out getting the proper hinge point(s). YMMV

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
We are keeping the glove locker on it at all times and playing catch with it. She moved her pinky into the ring finger slot yesterday on a whim and could actually move the glove much better but I didn't want to let her get too comfortable like that.

Try having her move her ring finger into the pinky finger slot, and move the index finger over one slot, too. This finger shift is very common, and significantly improves the hand's leverage for closing the glove.

Reactions: ian

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Try having her move her ring finger into the pinky finger slot, and move the index finger over one slot, too. This finger shift is very common, and significantly improves the hand's leverage for closing the glove.

Yes Sir. That leverage will also help them open a glove that has been clamped shut for extended periods of time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles