Pitching Instruction, Drills and Styles.......Who to Believe????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
The best instructor, that my DD ever had, was a man named Lane in Prescott, AZ. and he was free. He said that God gave him a gift and he didn't want paid. He was 1 1/2 hours away, but he was good.

Then, there was a guy in New Berlin, IL. that charged $5.00.

I would have to wonder what someone's credentials are that can charge $75.00, because I have a PE degree and have coached at 2 colleges. :)

Amy, 75 an hour, thats what we pay, and gladly. We also drive 3 and a half hours one way to get to the guy.

Donnie

Sep 3, 2009
Well, we are about 90 minutes north of NYC so if anyone knows of a good pitching coach in my area who charges a lot less than $75 I'd love to hear it!

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
When my daughter decided at 9 she wanted to pitch in LL I began researching the fastpitch technique. I'm the type of person who learns by doing, so I taught myself how to pitch; first based on Bob Todd's DVDs, then after deciding the "close the door" method wasn't ideal using Michele Smith's DVDs. I found her teaching method very understandable so I've used her DVDs as the basis for teaching my daughter (who now is nearly 14). To compliment what I've taught her she attends group cliinics when available.

My advice is learn by doing after finding a DVD that explains well the fastpitch method - I read you've purchased a Hillhouse DVD so that's a great start. Once you've determined the method you want to teach stick with it. Make it fun for you daughter by pitching against her in friendly competition - I used to setup buckets to hit when we would practice to see who could knock them over more - if she won I bought her an ice cream. Both of you will improve and your understanding will vastly improve by doing, not just watching & reading.

Oct 22, 2009
I also taught myself to pitch while my daughter was learning, it helped to understand what she was going through, if something actually was "impossible" if she claimed it was, and how to change the way to think or say something that the instructor wasn't making clear. I used DVD's also and talked with other parents of pitchers who attended different coaches and even watched other coaches giving a class so I could learn the different styles and vocabulary and find what was best for my own daughter, I also pitched TONS of batting practice.
She ended up using about 3 different instructors, some better than others, and a handful of assistant instructors that one instructor used when he didn't feel like giving you his time.
As the years went on she herself began understanding what made sense and what didn't make since, what helped and what didn't. By the time she entered college the college pitching instructor saw her and said it was time to break her down and start all over with his style, she confronted her coach and he was told that he could mess with the other pitchers but she was off-limits, after the other pitchers never made any progress he was let go after that year.
We both are now instructors and she is a high school coach in FL, I'd give anything if she'd move back to TX so we could work together: )

May 12, 2008
By the time she entered college the college pitching instructor saw her and said it was time to break her down and start all over with his style, she confronted her coach and he was told that he could mess with the other pitchers but she was off-limits, after the other pitchers never made any progress he was let go after that year.

Difficult situation for a teenager. Impressively handled.

We both are now instructors and she is a high school coach in FL, I'd give anything if she'd move back to TX so we could work together: )

What part of Texas? If I should already know, I apologize. Memory isn't what it used to be.

Oct 22, 2009
Yeah Mark you probably should ; )
She picked up with Howard a few times while recovering with a back injury.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00