Glove issue and sizing question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
If she is currently using a 12" glove why would you want to go smaller? I would only suggest a glove smaller than 12" for a MIF with small hands.

She's playing second and short and has small hands. :)

We drove all over town today and couldn't find anything that she liked the feel of. Right now I have the A800 strapped tight with a 12" ball in it trying to start rebreaking it temporarily. We are going to try to find a dealer relatively close where we can try on some of the upper scale models before we make any decisions.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2010
Careful getting one smaller than 12 inch. If you do that, the pocket has to be formed perfectly and MAINTAINED that way. If she doesn't take good care of it and the pocket gets narrow, then she will have problems with it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She's playing second and short and has small hands. :)

We drove all over town today and couldn't find anything that she liked the feel of. Right now I have the A800 strapped tight with a 12" ball in it trying to start rebreaking it temporarily. We are going to try to find a dealer relatively close where we can try on some of the upper scale models before we make any decisions.

PM Casedawg51 and he will hook you up! Just be prepared for an extended break in period.

Dec 19, 2012
Quandofloo

I'm afraid trying to "fix" that Wilson will be an exercise in futility. My guess is it's too far gone to change its shape.

Jun 18, 2013
Quandofloo

I'm afraid trying to "fix" that Wilson will be an exercise in futility. My guess is it's too far gone to change its shape.

Yeah, I am just trying to get it to work better for practice tomorrow mainly. Cricket wears a batting glove under her glove to help make the 12" fit better, so I am leaning towards staying with a 12" just from the recommendations here. I sent a PM to casedawg about Vinci's. I just wish I had somewhere that she could put one on her hand near me.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
At practice tonight my DD's coaches noticed that she was having a difficult time closing her glove properly. She isn't able to to bring her thumb to her pinkie so she is knocking a lot of balls away that she should be catching. Essentially, her A800 closes like this.

View attachment 9696

Instead of like this.

View attachment 9697

The glove lays naturally in the "wrong" position and she can't physically force it closed correctly when she has it on her hand. She is 12 and does have smallish hands. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better glove choice for this situation? We need to track something down quickly.

Have your DD try this and see what happens. Slide all the fingers over one slot. Index finger in the middle finger slot, middle finger in the ring finger slot and both ring and pinky finger in the pinky loop.20160207_130149.jpg20160207_130234.jpg20160207_130559.jpg

In the middle pic you can see the unused index finger slot. The gloves index finger becomes part of the pocket.

The bottom picture shows the hinge location on her glove which is the heel pad.

The top pick shows the Bubba Nickles team USA autograph!

Not using the glove as designed may seem a little strange. But spreading the fingers out gives her small hand more leverage to open and close the glove. It also makes the pocket larger and creates the proper hinge point. Reduces chance of bruised palm as well.

The old glove will probably work with this technique, you might have to beat in the proper hinge location. But thats about it.

Oct 2, 2012
My 14yr old has small hands and plays middle infield. Her coach (former Big 10 middle infielder) suggested a small Wilson. A2000 is the model I think. I believe it's an 11.5.

Jun 18, 2013
Thanks to casedawg, the new model has arrived. Completely conditioned and resting now.

49d36da30a4b146ff1c3b75f744898f6.jpg

After it rests for the day we will clean it and wrap it up for a little while. She is chomping at the bit to go use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian

Jun 11, 2015
20160207_134612.jpg Hear lots of good things about vinci. Those kip leather gloves will last a lifetime. Eric tipped me off to the Worth liberty sale. Thanks again E.

Oct 16, 2014
Right now she is using a 12" glove. What do you guys think about going to an 11" or an 11.5" glove?

If she plays 2nd and short I would stick with a 12". My older DD (13) plays 3rd and uses a 11.75" Wilson Onyx....thats a nice glove but on the heavier side (DD likes that, it really protects her hand on hard hit line drives). My younger DD (10) is a pitcher and plays some 1st and outfield....every blue moon plays 2nd. She uses a 12". She also has small hands and I've found that adult gloves (even 11.5") don't fit her any better than a youth 12" ( the Wilson A800 size )

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00