Glove Deals?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2020
You should give a real world review on your Pro1000 now that you've had it for awhile!
Absolutely will real soon. I just need to grab a pic or two with her using it to embellish the review. Anyone on the fence, do yourself a favor an jump off and buy. It is really a fantastically, well made piece of equipment! Night and day from her HOH.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Make her sleep outside for a couple of nights, she'll come around! ;)

There's always the option of ordering a custom Rawlings Pro206, same identical pattern and size as a Pro1000. It'll just be different leather.....and it cost more.....and it'll take 8 to 10 weeks to get! Yeah, couple of nights outside might do the trick!
Hmm..should I make Marcela sleep outside for liking her Pro 206 because the way she acts sometimes I don’t need much of an excuse? 😂 I don’t think I am going to survive the teenage years 😒

May 28, 2019
SOoooooo.

I ordered the Rawlings Pro1000 glove.

I'm not sure if its my glove or DD's glove. We shall see.

In the meantime, i would greatly appreciate some very quick advice of what specifically i shall use to oil/condition the leather to help break it in. I already own Nokona leather conditioner (vaseline like substance) and bradley glove butter. I'll gladly order anything i need to if you highly suggest something different.

Please explain any process like i'm a 5 year old.

Don't make me put this glove in the oven!...

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
SOoooooo.

I ordered the Rawlings Pro1000 glove.

I'm not sure if its my glove or DD's glove. We shall see.

In the meantime, i would greatly appreciate some very quick advice of what specifically i shall use to oil/condition the leather to help break it in. I already own Nokona leather conditioner (vaseline like substance) and bradley glove butter. I'll gladly order anything i need to if you highly suggest something different.

Please explain any process like i'm a 5 year old.

Don't make me put this glove in the oven!...
Please don't ever mention a oven, microwave, or Dick's Sporting Good's steaming death box in the same sentence with a glove ever again!!

Break it in dry! Schmick may have a different method than me but this has worked for me for years! Whether the glove ends up being yours or your DD's, do either of you have excessive sweaty hands, or live in a very hot or humid area?

If so, I like to treat the palm liner with a very thin coat of Obenauf's Heavy duty LP, or beeswax! It seals out sweat and moisture and protects the liner against THE number one killer of leather.....sweat & bacteria! One of the best glove restorers in the Country says he'll use Vaseline for the very same thing sometimes, so the Nokona NLT you already have should work just fine!

Use the Obenauf's / Vaseline / Nokona NLT on the liner, the heel opening binding and lace, and or anywhere your bare sweaty hand would touch the leather constantly!

Once the glove is starting to break in and is becoming usable (couple of weeks, couple of months?) and starting to look a little dry, then apply a light coat of conditioner. Hey, you just bought a super nice, super high quality glove, go ahead and buy a few higher end maintenance products to go with it, they'll last you forever!

Some Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP (beeswax, for the liner).

And for conditioner.....

Ball Players Balm.
Surf City Voodoo Blend.
Lexol.

All 3 are excellent conditioners!

I'm sure Schmick will be along shortly with some great advice as well.

Nov 8, 2020
Please don't ever mention a oven, microwave, or Dick's Sporting Good's steaming death box in the same sentence with a glove ever again!!

Break it in dry! Schmick may have a different method than me but this has worked for me for years! Whether the glove ends up being yours or your DD's, do either of you have excessive sweaty hands, or live in a very hot or humid area?

If so, I like to treat the palm liner with a very thin coat of Obenauf's Heavy duty LP, or beeswax! It seals out sweat and moisture and protects the liner against THE number one killer of leather.....sweat & bacteria! One of the best glove restorers in the Country says he'll use Vaseline for the very same thing sometimes, so the Nokona NLT you already have should work just fine!

Use the Obenauf's / Vaseline / Nokona NLT on the liner, the heel opening binding and lace, and or anywhere your bare sweaty hand would touch the leather constantly!

Once the glove is starting to break in and is becoming usable (couple of weeks, couple of months?) and starting to look a little dry, then apply a light coat of conditioner. Hey, you just bought a super nice, super high quality glove, go ahead and buy a few higher end maintenance products to go with it, they'll last you forever!

Some Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP (beeswax, for the liner).

And for conditioner.....

Ball Players Balm.
Surf City Voodoo Blend.
Lexol.

All 3 are excellent conditioners!

I'm sure Schmick will be along shortly with some great advice as well.
Obenaufs is good stuff for the hand and finger stalls.
Also the beeswax conditioners are best for gloves as they can go on light, don't attaract as much grime and dry quickly.
Personally I like the Fiebings Golden Mink Oil Paste for inside the hand and finger stalls, I also use it on the binding, heel laces and anywhere that comes in to more contact with skin. It's just personal preference, I do have Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP and use that on gloves a lot but I like the Fiebings for inside the hand stalls

The way I break in a glove for myself is different than how I break in gloves for clients, mainly because clients want their gloves back pretty quickly.
When breaking a glove in for me, I will first put the fiebings inside the hand stall and then the obenaufs along the palm lace runs and finger lace runs, then after those conditioners dry a bit I will put my hand in the glove, flare the thumb (preference) pull the fingers apart a bit (also preference) and beat on it a bit with a mallet and pounding pad. This will then turn in to couch catch, a back hand bounce off a bucket top amd then normal catch. Do this for a month or so keeping a ball in the glove with the glove wrapped when not being used and the glove will then feel broken in.
When breaking gloves in for clients, and in a rush I will obenaufs the whole outer shell, fiebings the hand stalls and bindings and then a lot of pounding, manipulation, catch a bullpen session and if it's a bigger rush I'll Aso the thing with hot water before pounding on it. Most gloves I can break in pretty quickly that way but usually just break them in enough that the player can play catch with them so the glove will mold to their hand and style.

As always, keep the glove wrapped with a ball or oversized ball in it when not using it. Condition the glove with something like Obenaufs, Ball Players Balm Pro Glove Conditioner or Pecards every few months and keep the hand stall treated with fiebings or obenaufs every month or so. Then every 4-6 months, use warm water and Ball Players Balm Glove Cleaner on the glove and hand stalls (applied with a horse hair or hog hair brush), allow the glove to dry and then condintion it again and it should last you years.
My kid tends to get new gloves a lot or she has me change the lace color on them a lot, I guess it's like getting her nails done to her.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell