Girls Fastpitch questions please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Liability is a big thing and men would obviously not be allowed in the cabins. Even at the younger ages. Would have to be team mom, liaison, chaperone.

Like the previous poster did note this would be very similar to the Coopertown Dreams Park in practice. And yes it is an expensive trip, but one in which we would be trying to provide huge value to the families. The points about cost are very valid and yet it is $850 per player at Cooperstown for the boys and they have 120 per week for 12 weeks from all over the country including Hawaii.

We know that the boys teams/baseball will do it. We would like to establish if it is even possible to mirror that experience with the girls before dropping $30m to develop the park. Strategically we want to try to provide the CDP type experience for the girls if it is something they want.

Keep it coming and if we do get it off the ground you never know.........I may come back here with coupons galore for the inaugural year.

thanks again.

My youngest nephew did Cooperstown. He loved it.

But Cooperstown is rich with baseball history. That's the attraction. What are you going to use as an angle to attract people to spend that amount of $$?

Cooperstown is set up as a once maybe twice lifetime event. ( for most its once ) Only 12 and under when kids are stary eyed at all the "awe".

Then the question of why NC??

What are you going to do to attract the older groups of 14-18u? Are you?

Biggest thing is you must have something or some experience that no other ballpark can offer. Especially at those prices and the present state of the economy.

I do wish you the best of luck, I know youre trying to help the sport.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I believe these same questions were asked of us a few years ago. If I recall, then the idea was for one game a day.

The Cat Osterman Experience is similar to what you are proposing. I didn't even hear of any teams that went this year.

Aug 31, 2012
But Cooperstown is rich with baseball history. That's the attraction. What are you going to use as an angle to attract people to spend that amount of $$?

Yes that is true and that type of connective history doesn't exist (to my knowledge) for softball so we will have to find something else to offer. The initial idea is a location that is easy to get in and out of, still has plenty of attractions and things to do during down time, and is in reasonable proximity to a lot of teams and population demographically. However, the biggest thing we plan to rely on is overall value for the girls. That value will come in the form of a tremendous welcome package that will include some really cool stuff, like Cooperstown we would provide jerseys and hats but would provide a new jersey for each day, we would have the proving grounds for testing new equipment and running showcase drills for college coaches and we would have the most pristine fields in the country. We have already had discussions with all of the hotels in the area and would be offering discounted rates to all of the families. Parking and admission to the park for the tournament would be free....no gate fees for parents to watch their DD.

Why Charlotte? We have done a ton of demographic studying and the amount of population within a reasonable drive is staggering. Ok, we also live here and we have the land so that made that part easy for us. The location is actually just north of Charlotte and right next to Lake Norman.

Thank you again to those who have filled out the survey. If you have not yet please do so if you don't mind.

Aug 31, 2012
I believe these same questions were asked of us a few years ago. If I recall, then the idea was for one game a day.

The Cat Osterman Experience is similar to what you are proposing. I didn't even hear of any teams that went this year.

It seems that the answers to the survey are currently indicating that the most important piece is quality of teams and scout exposure with number of games really not mattering. Our thought was 8 game minimum for the week with the potential of more in championship play. Are you saying 1 per day is not enough or too much? We were thinking for 2-3 per day per team. However, the key being they would always be close in timing. In other words, you would not play at 9 am and again at 4 pm, but more like 9 am and 11 am. Which is preferable? one of the other answers we are getting is that one of the biggest issues seen is ineffective scheduling.

The tournament you talk about does draw a ton of teams each year.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
The tournament you talk about does draw a ton of teams each year.

Not really - at least their tournaments that are set up to run similar to your proposal. I think they drew on average 15 teams at 12/14/16's last year. For a national tournament, that's about as small as it gets.

I don't know what else they do with that complex, but I suspect it's hemorrhaging money.

Aug 31, 2012
Not really - at least their tournaments that are set up to run similar to your proposal. I think they drew on average 15 teams at 12/14/16's last year. For a national tournament, that's about as small as it gets.

I don't know what else they do with that complex, but I suspect it's hemorrhaging money.

wow, that is surprising. I had heard differently. Those numbers do not work to support a complex so you would be correct on the hemorrhaging front. I had heard many more teams.

Does anyone know the primary reason they don't draw?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am sorry if I have taken you off topic, but I googled the Cat Osterman Experience and didn't find much. It seems like her name is now off of it. I have no first hand experience with teams that have gone. Like I said, I heard nothing about it this last season.

Location, location, location. But, yours is much better than the so called Cat Osterman Experience.

Good luck, we always need nice facilities and tournaments.

Aug 31, 2012
one of the comments on the survey indicated that the housing component is a waste as the parents still need to stay in hotels so the cost actually goes up. A couple thoughts on that and then a question,
With the housing component if the whole family can't afford to go at least the player can still go with the team and stay on the property with chaperones.
Food is included so that isn't duplicated.
The boys absolutely love the team camaraderie that happens at Cooperstown by staying together. That atmosphere is part of the draw.

That being said, does any of that matter in softball for a tournament of this type? The housing is expensive to build and even more expensive to operate so I we can have a big draw without it that works too. We are really trying to create an atmosphere and excitement around the events and the complex and not so much just show up to play the games then back to your hotel room.

We want to get it right that's why we are asking all of this. Again, much appreciated responses thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
one of the comments on the survey indicated that the housing component is a waste as the parents still need to stay in hotels so the cost actually goes up. A couple thoughts on that and then a question,
With the housing component if the whole family can't afford to go at least the player can still go with the team and stay on the property with chaperones.
Food is included so that isn't duplicated.
The boys absolutely love the team camaraderie that happens at Cooperstown by staying together. That atmosphere is part of the draw.

That being said, does any of that matter in softball for a tournament of this type? The housing is expensive to build and even more expensive to operate so I we can have a big draw without it that works too. We are really trying to create an atmosphere and excitement around the events and the complex and not so much just show up to play the games then back to your hotel room.

We want to get it right that's why we are asking all of this. Again, much appreciated responses thanks.

That being said,

First, we are all just trying to help, even if some "answers" seem harsh.

Housing? Very few parents of young girls want to let them travel 500+ miles away without going also. Plus, $800 and then a few extra $100's in "fun" money. For about double that $2000, we all went as a family for a week 12u to USFA WS. Nice big condo, going to the beach at night, jet skiing, eating out at beachfront restaurants every evening, all the atmosphere Florida has to offer.

Because of work schedules, and some of my parents had "recession" problems, that was their only FAMILY vacation of the year. I think most middle class families look at it that way. Especially now that gas prices at sky rocketing. It would cost me double in gas to drive to Florida again as it did in 2008.

Now this part is just my experience. My girls who've I had since 8u ( 17-18 now ), love to play ball. But when the day is done ( week long tourney or weekend ) they shift into completely different gears. They want to go do something. Hit the mall, walk around downtown, walk on the beach, go out to eat, movies, play miniature golf, ride go carts, hang out at the pool at the hotel, get up a game of volleyball, sun bathe, etc.

Right up the road in Jackson TN they built one of the nicest complexes I've ever been to, I've spoken a few times on here about them. Professionally manicured grounds, fields dragged and chalked before every game, best lights in the business, helpful staff, large plazma TV's at the concession stand so dads can keep up with sports on tv. Computer monitors keeping you up to date on teams, times, and bracket results, on and on.

Plenty to do in Jackson after a day of games. They did share the vision and have baseball and softball fields on the same grounds. Works perfect if you have a son and daughter playing sports. Though they do not do the housing, I've NEVER NEVER been up to play at that complex when it wasn't sold out. ( baseball and softball ) And we have been there 100 times over the years from travel ball, to college exposers, and high school tournaments.

Might be something to just consider. :)

0ddb34ad2f443071ea70851212eacb26.jpg
[/IMG]

9694701d2e0be536cc11d30d5cad0d0b.jpg
[/IMG]

cedd377e3c1dfdd541d424ae98e3b28d.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member