Ghost is toast!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
she swings on the average during her lessons twice a week 250-300 swings according to her blast.. and we do our tee work and drills on our own two other nites maybe 150-20 and a hour cage on Sunday. we have two holders that hold 24 balls and we pick up probably 4 -5 times..

That's a lot of swings. I think the most I put 18yo DD through is ~150, and that's in the cage when she's having issues. I was able to get her outside the other day on a ballfield for the first time this year. I cut it short <100 swings because things were going so well that throwing any more pitches was pointless. I think her arms would fall off at 200+ swings.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I used to love the ghosts but they have always had a history of breaking and it seems like nothings really changed. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

When DD was switched to Demarini, its amazing that all BP and all games she uses the same bat. They completely take a licking and keep on ticking. You could argue that the Demarini's aren't as hot, but if you buy a bat it seems like you should be able to use it all the times, dimpled balls or not.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
You're right about BP hits counting, but a bat should be able to survive one player using it regularly to hit actual softballs off a T or front-toss. I know that Ghosts have a high failure rate, possibly higher than any other bat, but I've not seen any bat fail on a team my DD was on that wasn't at least a year old AND used to hit dimple balls from Jugs machines. DD has never had a bat fail. She currently plays 18U, uses LS and DM, and can hit HRs with either.

And what was my point? Why you went into all the other stuff. I said BP counts...too many people count live games as their only hits.
This bat could have had 5 or 10K hits on it. Im glad you have had good luck Strike. Glad your dd is great with the bats she chooses.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That's a lot of swings. I think the most I put 18yo DD through is ~150, and that's in the cage when she's having issues. I was able to get her outside the other day on a ballfield for the first time this year. I cut it short <100 swings because things were going so well that throwing any more pitches was pointless. I think her arms would fall off at 200+ swings.
I think blast is recording waggles as swings.

Oct 4, 2018

Our bucket holds 25 balls. Two buckets is our norm in a session. Tee or front toss. So 50 swings. It's usually a bit higher as I catch a ball or it bounces out of the net.

If you hit 3 balls per minute, you'd hit 180 balls in an hour. With zero stops. Getting to 200 in a session is pretty remarkable.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
And what was my point? Why you went into all the other stuff. I said BP counts...too many people count live games as their only hits.

I understood your point to be that bats aren't made well enough to practice with. I'd say that people will eventually tire of paying $300-400 for something so fragile.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I understood your point to be that bats aren't made well enough to practice with. I'd say that people will eventually tire of paying $300-400 for something so fragile.

No, my point was just because a bat has one tourny on it, the thousands of BP swings count as well
and you cant just discount that...but I have said for a long time, your BP bat shouldnt be a gamer.

If you have had great luck with other bats, thats great, then this shouldnt bother you.

May 20, 2015
we're 14 months into our GA.......no school ball last year, but we were at the field 3-4 times a week april/may/june, maybe 50 swings each time......"full" travel season, and I'd say she used it for BP & games.....we only played 30, but.......and she's been practicing since october, one morning a week, and i'd say she used the GA for 85-90% of her swings........it's still going strong......but we did buy a new GA to take over, and we're saving the 'old' one just for games.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1