getting open

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
Communication is hard. Sometimes, it's even harder to communicate what you know you want to see in ways that a young person can understand. If your PC saw that maybe her hips were closing before her hand came through or her shoulders always stayed pointed at the catcher without ever "opening" then obviously a way to try to correct that would be to say "get open".....obviously you can't effectively drive if you are opening up before you push off. Maybe you should try and have a conversation with the PC to try and guage what she actually means and what she is trying to get your DD to do.

Personally, as a pitcher for years I could not imagine the shoulder pain that would come from being in a position where my arm is on the outside of my hips when I am releasing the ball....I'd love to see other videos of high level pitchers in the same position Amanda is in at release because It seems like a very unnatural position to be in.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You can say that all you want ...That's the problem...Is he right because hes been at it forever or he travels the country...Well I trust my eyes. I see what I see and to deny what I said is to deny the facts! You can let his lil name is fastpitch influence you but that's your problem. He wants you pitching sideways and hes WRONG!

Well honestly, you joined in July? What is this your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th account? I don't give any credit to those who are A-holes, especially those that won't show their identity. So what if you disagree with what or how Bill teaches... don't go to him then, it's very simple. I think actions speak louder than words, and Bill's actions have produced many, many students... you?

Aug 21, 2008
I still think there must be some kind of confusion. Maybe a breakdown in communication or something. Or, maybe not. I do believe the hand goes before the hips close. If that is what 6to4 flat out disagrees with, then ok. But, I don't understand the bitterness in his posts towards me (or that's how it seems anyway).

6to4, I'm curious if you've ever pitched fastpitch. Your posts have all been about what you've seen, etc. Have you ever actually done it? Even in the back yard? If not, you should try it. Make a concerted effort to put your hip in front of the ball and see what happens. I try to base what I teach off what I do/have done personally in my own career on the rubber. This is why I think our "disagreement" is semantics or misunderstanding. Every still photo I have seen of a pitcher (world class pitcher) releasing the ball shows the hand clearly in front of the hip. I tried to post some pictures in here of guys but I can't seem to figure out how to get the picture in here to appear.

Bill

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414