getting noticed by colleges

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2012
question with my daughter when she gets older and is getting ready for college what are the colleges looking for in players. are there certain tournaments that i need to get her to get her noticed? she does play travel softball now and is a 12u player just wondering what i need to do in advance.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
1. Grades/Test Scores 2. Attitude 3. Play travel ball for an elite team that plays in college showcases. Attend college camps that you are interested in. Then you must sale yourself by following some of the good recruiting information sites out there. Queen of Diamonds is one college showcases that comes to mind that does a good job giving you the information that is needed to make contacts.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here is everything that you will need - Fastpitch Recruiting Cathy Aradi has written the "bible" for 2 decades on getting recruited by various sized colleges.

Get your DD used to doing the research and knowing how she will contact coaches, when the time comes.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
It's crazy that we need to start thinking about this when they are this young. I too have a 12u player...just starting with club ball. Love the responses so far. They're a great help. And great question, Coach 11.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
One of the best quotes I have heard from another coach is:

"You don't win a scholarship at 10U or 12U, but you sure can lose one."

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
1. Grades/Test Scores 2. Attitude 3. Play travel ball for an elite team that plays in college showcases. Attend college camps that you are interested in. Then you must sale yourself by following some of the good recruiting information sites out there. Queen of Diamonds is one college showcases that comes to mind that does a good job giving you the information that is needed to make contacts.

Great advice. Getting on a team that will be seen is crucial, as is attending camps so you can get some face-time with Coach. My DD never missed an opportunity to put herself in front of the coach of the school she was most interested in, whether that was a big cattle-call summer camp, smaller clinic, attending college games or keeping her ear to the ground for less well-advertised events to attend. When DD was finally set down in Coach's office, DD was told she probably was as familiar with the program as anyone not officially on the team could be.

I always reminded DD that the attitude portion was 24/7, that coaches would not just be watching her on the field. How did she interact with her teammates in the dugout? How did she treat her parents after a game? How did she behave with her little brother at the snack bar? It all could be part of Coach's decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
kenb63. True story. Standing by a college coach talking watching a game. Kid yells at parent go get me a water. She lines out the kids name. They also watch to see who picks up the balls and equipment. She told me they don't have time to be a baby sitter!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
SBFAMILY also true story. Coaches will also watch a team warm up to see who is putting in the effort then. They will also listen to what is happening in the girls bathroom, smack talk will get a line through a name toot-sweet!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
12U, sorry you are about 4 years too late, all the top 2017/2018 prospects have been identified and have verbaled. My advice is to think soccer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06