Getting me all hot!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Funny, CB, I was just having this conversation with a college pitcher yesterday. She was annoyed that a particular program was claiming credit for certain players playing in college when she knows it was the team they joined afterwards that helped them get the college opportunity. She knows because she was on both teams.

You look around and you'll find the same name listed a few times in some cases. I guess anyone who ever had the kid in a uniform will claim them as an example of the kids they helped get college opportunities. But if you talk to the players, very few actually helped them get better, much less make contact with colleges.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CB you do it for all the right reasons! Each summer we end up taking on graduated Senior with the skills to play, but was woefully served by her team. It is very rewarding to find them a home where they can go to school and play the game they love. We get more satisfaction helping those kids than the stud we work for a couple years who goes big with multiple offers. :)

You bet and I guess that is why I'm kind of an idiot for starting this thread. All that really matters is that these young ladies get to continue playing. Thanks for what you do for them!

May 13, 2012
CB you have a right to be upset. I have the same lack of temperment for a lot of HS coaches that take in freshman and start them for 4 yrs. Then senior yr claim how they improved them, when they where no where near them in their careers until they became freshman. Then the private coaches/parents/other coaches still do their thing from may until feb for 4 yrs. Girl signs and nxt yr HS coach " Suzy signed with X and this is what I taught her and this is how you are gonna do it". There are good HS and Good TB coaches, unfortunately the ones that aren't will lie so others will think they are the stuff.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I've started and deleted this thread several times thinking I'd cool down. I have not. I am appalled at how many TB teams take credit for players getting into college who did not play for them OR who they did nothing for to get those players into college.

Cannonball, you are one of the few HS coaches in the country doing more to get a player verballed than their TB coaches. It is usually the other way around. The TB coaches do all the work, but when it comes time to sign the NLI, the HS coach gets their picture in the paper with the player as if they had something to do with it...

Aug 6, 2013
I'll be honest CB but I was a little uncomfortable clicking on a link called Getting me all hot! here at work...
We have 3 "big Orgs" here that will fight constantly over this "Who gets the most recruits" when in reality it's usually the girls themselves or the organization they came from that did all the leg work.

Jun 12, 2015
I'll be honest CB but I was a little uncomfortable clicking on a link called Getting me all hot! here at work...
We have 3 "big Orgs" here that will fight constantly over this "Who gets the most recruits" when in reality it's usually the girls themselves or the organization they came from that did all the leg work.

I wondered if I was the only one with a dirty mind.

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
Similar thing just happened with my DD. She played this summer with Team A, and moving to Team B this Fall, it was no secret. We were upfront about it. DD did the emailing, and made the phone calls, and we coordinated her campus visit through her hitting coach. Team B's Org Leader made a phone call or 2 for us after the offer was presented as well. DD verbals the week before the last tournament of the summer with Team A. Keep in mind that when we let Team A's coach know about the offer, we get a text saying "awesome" that's it. She has not heard a single word from that coach since that day. Nothing in person after the offer was made, and nothing since she committed. Come to find out, that he has listed her on their website as a credit to his organization, and in his speech before every tryout, tells the people trying out that he got her into her school! I would bet my house that he doesn't even know the Head Coach's name at the school she committed to. Meanwhile new Team B, has sent text's/phone calls congratulating her, and a mass email to the entire organization announcing it. I told him that he should report her to Goldfastpitch and Flosoftball since he had more to do with it, than her previous coach.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am currently making videos for three or four more players who's TB organizations have done nothing but have the parents sign up for a recruiting service. Yet, when I get these players into college, those organizations will take the credit. On one, the organization has basically said that they young lady should not pursue collegiate softball. I have an offer for her now from a school that needs what this player brings to the table. It isn't much but it will help the family and they want her to attend there.

Unfortunately I think this is very common. Not only with major organizations. But some smaller ones too. There is one locally that has trouble keeping players more than a few tournaments at a time. They are constantly pulling in pick up players just to field a team each weekend. If someone plays for them, even for one weekend, the coach can be heard telling others about the how "he helped her get recruited". People unfamiliar with the organization or this coach may fall for that BS. But those that know him or the program, know better.

I am very confident that you play a major role in these athlete's development and recruitment. And I would be willing to bet that each and every one of them knows for a fact how much of a role you have played. I realize that all of the other stuff is frustrating, but I would try to take comfort in knowing the truth and knowing that each of your players knows the truth.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
We recently left a team that made an effort to assist the girls in getting recruited, but their only success was the coaches daughters partial scholarships. We left the team for personal reasons, but I saw their tryout post that said they has placed 7 girls. 5 of them they had nothing to do with, but the girls guest played for us over the summer. Guess that counts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck