Getting Hit - By Your Own DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2013
I heard that people use the soft, low compression type balls to lessen the blow and for indoor practice. But what's your guys opinions? We're about to buy a couple dozen 12" balls just for pitching but I also need a half dozen 11" to last out the rest of the year at 10u.

Is there a difference in weight or anything else you saw/feel affects throwing?

I'm debating between just getting good Dream Seam balls just for pitching and eventually buying shin guards. But I saw low compression balls recommended somewhere or another for practice sessions.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
None of us fathers of pitchers have ever been hit by their DDs during pitching practice.

I just hope nobody spilled a drink over a keyboard.

The softer 12" balls do hurt less, and they are usually good for indoor practice because they tear up the gyms less.
However, the question becomes -- can your DD pitch as well with the softer balls. DD 3 says they don't feel quite the same.
It's probably a good idea to get 1 or a few of them for practice, but see if it feels right to your DD for practice before getting any more. At worst you can always use them for BP.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
For indoor, the softies help. For outdoors--get some shin guards and a mask. You won't regret it!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If she is pitching indoors I would get the softies.

Outdoor real balls.

DD improved a lot using the softies indoors, then moving outside with the real ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have always used gently used game balls for pitching practice. No reason to waste a new ball that could be used in a game. We only need 2-3 balls for pitching practice if we have a backstop behind the catcher. It is also a good idea to practice with different types of balls, so your DD does not become partial to one particular brand. You do not always get to pick what she pitches with, so she needs to be able to throw just about anything. I also recommend getting some old balls and getting them wet for "rainy weather" practice.

Feb 7, 2013
Always have her pitch with the make and type of ball she will be using in games, whether she is indoors or outdoors. You need to start wearing some catching equipment if you are concerned about getting hit. I wear steel-toed boots, shin guards, and when she throws the drop ball outdoors, an umpires light-weight mask. I have heard too many horror stories of dad's/mom's wearing flip flops when catching and breaking toes. Not too smart...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We get free indoor space all they ask is that we use softies. Do they check, no. But out of respect for them we use softies.

If you have a tunnel , real ball.

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
Have always had DD throw regular balls, the time we tried softies, had issues going back to regular. but we don't have indoor facility and throw outside regardless of weather or temp.
shins have taken a beating.

Last week in low light of the evening, facing to the west in the twilight, lost a ball in the background, now have a bruise on my chest. once I could breath and was sure I had all my teeth, said nice shot sugar, way to drive it right down the middle. Of course I then had her finish by throwing to the net.

I heard the fast pitch gods giggle in the back of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55