Game Swing Thoughts/Insights

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
I'm hoping to get some thoughts on my 15 yo DD's game swing. We've been working on keeping hands up and staying behind her front foot. She tends to let the hands drop and get over her front foot. She's made some decent adjustments, but I was hoping to get some input from other, more trained eyes. Thanks for any insights/comments...we appreciate the help!

[video=youtube_share;8V3OgnC1uSY]http://youtu.be/8V3OgnC1uSY[/video]

May 29, 2013
She loads(rocks the u), but not quite enough. Rocking the u is part of the swing, there should be no pause and you have to try real hard not to do a partial or you diminish the benefit.

That was a very good swing though.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
hmzecf.gif

8hCamB.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
She is loading the top half and using her hands to do it. Not good.

Starting now she should focus on coiling, starting with the lower half. Everything starts from the ground up. As a drill, have her practice a kick stride. Not necessarily to be her new swing; just to get her to feel the power of loading the lower half. The easiest way I have found to get a player to do the kick stride is just to have them bring their front knee back toward their rear knee, up almost as high as the hips and close in to the body. Then as she strides out toward the pitch try to maintain the coil until she throws the barrel at the ball. Keep in mind that the hips will "pull the hands off the shelf". IOW, her hands won't move until she feels the hips start to pull. Then, INSTANTLY, "right now", she throws the barrel.

Also, as part of this load, she needs to "rock the u". Currently she is simply pulling her hands back toward the catcher. In order to rock the u the elbows must maintain equal distance between them as they rock to show the catcher a perfect triangle. The lead shoulder will naturally turn down and in as this happens.

There are many posts on rock the u that explain and demonstrate it better. Coil, too, as far as that goes!

You will start to see the Cabrera look when she is doing this. Most importantly she will feel the power difference. When that happens tell her to experiment with the power feeling until she finds HER highest point of that feeling.

PS: I was hoping rdbass was going to do that. Now you have detail! Thanks, rdbass!

Also, I notice she doesn't stride. IMO, that's leaving money on the table.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This hasn't been my week for providing help but, since you're getting very little help I'll chime in until the real help arrives.
BondsvBonds1.gif

Your DD needs a little of what Bonds is doing on the right.
hmzecf.gif

I can't see the pitcher but, it seems like slower pitching to me (not sure).
Your DD needs to time the ball not the pitcher. Your DD needs to load later. Maybe let the ball get a little deeper. All the videos I watched your DD pulled the ball. Let the ball get deeper what's the worst that could happen the ball might go over the right field fence. Your DD needs to keep loading/pulling back with the scap/arms,hands as the hips are rotating/firing at the ball.
Your DD needs to keep her weight back/from getting to her front leg.
Your DD needs to get a little 'sat' as in getting seated but, not sitting down. Lower her center of gravity. Get a little bend in her rear leg.
If your DD can do that the ball would not have been caught it would have gone 'yard'.
JMHO until the real help arrives.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Additional note to my post above. Exaggerate the kick stride as a drill. This clip is Cabrera's swing stride. We are doing the kick stride as a drill. If you were actually using it in a game it wouldn't be as exaggerated.

2lkpog2.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I agree. I would like to see a stride as the hitter is going forward, as the hitter is 'pulling back' loading.
Like I said gooooooooooooing yard.

Added:
This hasn't been my week for providing help but, since you're getting very little help I'll chime in until the real help arrives.
This was not a comment on the previous posters that have provided very good help and suggestions. Like I said this hasn't been a good week for me and I didn't read the comments prior to posting.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I agree with this.

I really like her set up and balance. I believe if she had the same nice slow load while she fell out to toe touch and created space between her hands and back hip, She would have a better chance of getting her hips to lead her swing better.

Lot of good in her swing, but with some small adjustments could add some real power.
She needs a better sequence. Stretch her body out some

SL

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to view my DD's swing and help us, both on this thread and through PMs. We've received some great info and drills to help improve her swing. We really appreciate everyone's willingness to help. This is a great community. Thanks again.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
To create space try to let the coil and core create the separation as you fall out to toe touch slowly. Saying in your mind when you dance with the pitcher. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, or 1111111111111112, or what ever thought would give you rhythm.

SL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs