Looking for another set of eyes - 16u Swing Analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2014
Well, the last time I posted in this particular forum was almost 6 years ago and my DD has come a long way in that time - however, in the last season, and so far in our limited play this season her power has disappeared. I tend to get laser focused on a single aspect of the swing and have yet to tie it all together. Her Hitting coach has also done a great job getting her to where she is at - I feel we are close, but can't quite put it all together. Hoping for another set of eyes for some critical feed back, I do love this community! So this is a hit from last weekend, which I then slowed down and threw up a second hit. Now, it looks like she got a bit jammed, which I could deal with for a single at bat, but through about her last 50 at bats spanning this and last season she has hit a weak grounder to the infield for about 40 of them. Out of the 10 that were not weak grounders she has one line drive (against a girl bringing some gas so she didn't have time to drop her hands on it) The rest were soft loopers to the outfield, with maybe a fly ball here and there.

Appreciate any takes!

D-

Oct 26, 2019
97813632-CFC1-4467-99F3-BFF939FE4009.jpeg
Her barrel falls back behind her (dumps the barrel) and hard to see from this angle but the barrel appears to have fallen below her hands behind her back shoulder. This forces her to come around the body the long way to swing. She does a pretty good job sucking her hands in to almost get the barrel to it (how Jeter used to do it always amazed me) but that will make solid contact out front difficult. 613A3847-59CD-48B5-BC95-4774E17D08C9.jpeg

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yeah she strangely dumps the barrel. That is the first thing that must be corrected. Have her try to tip and rip the barrel in front of her helmet. Think Gary Shelfield.

no cigar needed.

Also appears to me she never gets into her rear glute and loses her hip hinge early. Watch her hemet. She gets taller and bleeds power. Kinda pushy swing.

Aug 20, 2017
The stride is not a move to get athletic. Front hip opens too early. No hip hinge. Get her belt buckle to turn towards catcher some during load and ride that turn forward. Watch and do this!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I think RD did a great job describing what is happening. If you want to see a tell tale sign of a swing, take a look at the check swing. It is a push that really shows an inefficient swing.

May 28, 2014
Thanks for the feedback all, now, I have been reading this forum for far too long, and I swear the first time I have heard "hinge" is this week (after being out of the loop for a few months) I understand it, just find it funny that I don't recall seeing the term before ;) will work on some things this week at the lesson and have a local this weekend.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I swear the first time I have heard "hinge" is this week (after being out of the loop for a few months) I understand it, just find it funny that I don't recall seeing the term before ;) will work on some things this week
If you work on 'hinge' you will waste a week.......don't know why I bother.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying