2 strike hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2013
I posted this also in the Practical because it is kind of a tweener.
I’m looking for ways to help my 18U players strike out less as there are too many with runners on base. They are all veteran players, all decent hitters, and since they are older and mostly engrained in their hitting style/mechanics I decided not to make any major changes with them. I have talked to them about taking on a 2-strike mentality. Meaning when you get 2 strikes, just try to get the ball in play, just survive! I probably will get some disagreement from all the coaches who want the long ball swing all the time but a strikeout is more likely than a homerun with 2strikes and a K does us absolutely no good. A blooper, a bleeder may find a hole, cause an error, etc, etc. Fouling a couple more balls off may create a walk. So the simplest way I’m teaching is to really minimize the load and even start the hands closer to the pitcher, kind of in front of the chest, creating a quicker punch type swing. Still staying long in zone, still keeping otherwise solid hitting mechanics. Just seeing what others think. Remember I’m coming from a team first mentality not just a develop the players for the future mentality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad