Game situation - coaching opinions wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
For the runner to go 1st to 3rd like that, they might have picked up on a hole in the bunt coverage.

In all honesty, it wasn't whizz bang like that. 2B caught the throw at 1st, and then the umpire made his call. The runner did what they were supposed to do, got to 2nd and round the base slightly and look. With noone there, the coach must have signaled for her to go for 3. There was a little bit of confusion, or not paying attention I guess... what do you call that? Situational awareness... with 3B and SS, so the runner had a good shot at being safe on 3. If I was the 3B coach, i'd have done the exact same thing.

Feb 3, 2011
In 10u, on a bunt to the left side with both 1B and 3B already in, then SS covers 3rd with LF providing backup, 2B covers 2nd with CF backing up, and P covers 1st with RF backing up.

In the situation you described, they almost had to concede 3rd to the lead runner, but you can't really fault her for making an aggressive play and trying to steal an out for her team, even if the odds were against her at the time.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When to hold the ball has to become an instinct. I certainly wouldn't have became heated at a girl her age. Ten to one, if she hadn't of thrown it, someone would have been yelling "Throw the ball!" You can't win. :)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
With a very aggressive base-running team, you can also throw behind the runners. We have started doing that this year (2nd year 12U), where once the put-out is made at first (our 1B covers the bag), the ball is immediately thrown to second (with 2B covering). We use CF to back up the throw to second. You only have to do that once to keep the runners honest and hold the bag at second rather than taking an aggressive turn.

Jun 15, 2011
I coach 12u and whoever doesn't field the ball between the 3rd baseman and the pitcher has to responsibility to hustle back to 3rd in the scenario described in the OP. The SS will cover according to the base runners. With no runners or runners on first, the SS covers 2nd (we call this cover 2). If there is a runner on 2nd or 3rd... or 2nd and 3rd...we run a "cover 3" where the SS comes to 3rd on the bunt. We sneak the CF in behind the runner at 2nd but we would never throw behind the runner at 2nd.

One of the posters mentioned that their SS always covered 3rd. If I picked up on this during a game I would show bunt whenever I was attempting to steal 2nd...especially if you had deep coverage by the CF.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Why is SS covering 2nd? I am not sure of how many go to 2nd on bunts... they already have a lead to 2nd and it would need to be fielded so quickly and coverage in place...

In my opinion, SS should of covered 3rd and left 2nd base open or for CF to cover. But if the coaches have not taught them who is to cover what, than the fault falls on the coach. I don't think you can blame anyone else if they don't know what the coach expects on a specific defensive play. But, hopefully they have not learned the coverage the coach wants for any future bunt coverage plays with the described situation....

Either have SS cover 3rd and CF cover 2nd if you really need to have a person covering 2nd on the initial bunt, and you need your first baseman in on bunt coverage??

Now I coach 10U and we go to 1st in this situation as the team did... But I also don't use my 1st baseman to cover bunts, because I have a 3rd baseman who fortunately can do it all. She has it down to a science and I think maybe only one bunted ball has resulted in a hit. Not to mention I already have my 1st baseman in place taking the throw and immediately charging to keep the runner from advancing to 3rd. SS is already covering 3rd, 2nd baseman covers 2nd. And if for some reason my 1st baseman did leave to cover a bunt they would cover 1st and CF would cover 2nd. This works for my team, not all teams use only the 3rd baseman, pitcher and catcher to cover bunts... I just think my 1st baseman is not quick to react to bunts. I tried various coverages, and the one above worked best.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
What would I have said to the team? "Who was talking on that play?" "Catcher, were you talking to 2nd base?" "Pitcher, did you say anything?" If 2nd was left to her own devices, she had a lot to do. If catcher was yelling "3! 3!" Then, she did what she was told to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy