Game situation - coaching opinions wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
May I ask why? Worried about the pitcher getting hurt?

I have to agree. Although there are many different ways to cover on bunts, it is certainly not unusual for the pitcher to cover 3rd with runner on 1st if the 3rd baseman ends up fielding the bunt. In fact, a quick google search of "bunt coverage runner on 1st" yielded validation of this. Here are the first three links I looked at...

Basic Bunt Coverage #1: Runner at 1st « Coach5150's Baseball & Softball Blog

Softball: bunt defense situations, bunt defense, second baseman

Girls Fastpitch Softball: Intermediate Bunt Defense

All of them agree that with a runner on first that whoever doesn't field the ball between the pitcher and 3rd baseman is to cover 3rd.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
That was kind of my point, I have heard that before that coaches don't want the pitcher covering bases because of the possibility of getting hurt. I asked one coach then how do you cover a passed ball at home? He said with his pitcher.... ummmmm???? Haha. Heck they have more of a chance getting hurt with a ball hit back at them than from maybe an occasional play at 3rd. Typically if a player is covering 3rd, the runner won't attempt an advance.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Pitcher is always the last option to cover a bag. If runner on first only, third and first charge with pitcher. If third doesn't field ball she goes back to her bag. If she does catcher covers third. This is fundamental softball. Shortstop has second, 2B has first. Outfielders should NEVER be covering the bag, you are leaving no back up.

No high level team would do it any other way.

Sep 3, 2009
Why is SS covering 2nd? I am not sure of how many go to 2nd on bunts... they already have a lead to 2nd and it would need to be fielded so quickly and coverage in place...

I wouldn't think a runner taking off at pitch release to steal, would be much different than taking off when the batter bunts. If it's a 2 out situation, i think you'd almost always want to go with the easy out at 1. If it's a no out, or 1 out situation, why not go for the lead runner?

Jan 24, 2011
I wouldn't think a runner taking off at pitch release to steal, would be much different than taking off when the batter bunts. If it's a 2 out situation, i think you'd almost always want to go with the easy out at 1. If it's a no out, or 1 out situation, why not go for the lead runner?

Unless it is a bad bunt , the out at 2nd is tough to get and too risky.

Jun 15, 2011
Pitcher is always the last option to cover a bag. If runner on first only, third and first charge with pitcher. If third doesn't field ball she goes back to her bag. If she does catcher covers third. This is fundamental softball. Shortstop has second, 2B has first. Outfielders should NEVER be covering the bag, you are leaving no back up.

No high level team would do it any other way.

I disagree.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have to agree with Daddylawman. I have never seen a pitcher run and cover 3rd, nor do I coach it. She is striding towards home and ends up maybe 35 feet from home. She can cover home because she is headed that direction. I think that she would have at least 50 feet to run to try and get to 3rd base. Someone can figure out the math. 1 side is 60 feet, 1 side is 35 feet. What is the distance that a pitcher would run?

Hal and Bill, do you cover 3rd?

Dec 12, 2009
CT
In 10u, on a bunt to the left side with both 1B and 3B already in, then SS covers 3rd with LF providing backup, 2B covers 2nd with CF backing up, and P covers 1st with RF backing up.

In the situation you described, they almost had to concede 3rd to the lead runner, but you can't really fault her for making an aggressive play and trying to steal an out for her team, even if the odds were against her at the time.

I've never heard of the P covering first. She would be in a foot race with the BR, and then have to catch the throw on the run. If your going to do that, just have 1B stay on the bag, and P handles any bunts up the right side.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have to agree with Daddylawman. I have never seen a pitcher run and cover 3rd, nor do I coach it. She is striding towards home and ends up maybe 35 feet from home. She can cover home because she is headed that direction. I think that she would have at least 50 feet to run to try and get to 3rd base. Someone can figure out the math. 1 side is 60 feet, 1 side is 35 feet. What is the distance that a pitcher would run?

Hal and Bill, do you cover 3rd?

Whereas the catcher has 60 feet to get to the 3B bag. Unless you got a really fast catcher, I'll take the pitcher running 50 feet, than the catcher running 60 feet.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Whereas the catcher has 60 feet to get to the 3B bag. Unless you got a really fast catcher, I'll take the pitcher running 50 feet, than the catcher running 60 feet.

The pitchers momentum is going towards home, she has to turn. . .the catcher, if she is not fielding the bunt, her momentum is going forward and is an easier transition to third. . .

Players should learn the options depending on the play. COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish