Front Shoulder Flying Open

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Howard,

Does Crystl put her rear elbow in control of the separation?

Thanks

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
She describes it as working as a unit and the knob leads the elbows. Elbows, hands and release the bat head/ barrel to the ball rotating as needed and releasing the wrist. Very important that the back hand or top hand stays stacked over the elbow as it transitions forward to bat lag and release the barrel to the ball based on the balls depth in box. Watch the video you posted and thank you for that, and look closely at what some are calling THT, moving the bat forward, and look at how simply she puts the hands rearward and does not dip the shoulders or overtly tip the bat forward or backwards, however the hands do go rearward slightly. Maybe not the MLB pattern however very effective if I do say so myself!

Thanks Howard

R

RayR

Thanks Howard for the explanations, but to be clear I was only referring to the hands moving back. Are you saying she is only thinking of the hands going back? Not the rear elbow moving back / pinching?

May 13, 2008
<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1100760418658" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1100760418658" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>

Watch as Bustos strides forward how her hands "stay where they were at." This is how we teach building momentum.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Howard I described drills and posted clips and recommend you get the biomechanicbaseball tape.

The Bustos pattern IS the MLB pattern.

The MLB pattern is prmarily a product of mother nature, not coaching.

Let me know any of those that are not clear.

All the best.

Attachments

• cat 9 oclock.jpg
    cat 9 oclock.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2008
She is not doing what this guy says, nor do alot of major league swings that I see IME.
I do like your reach for the $100.00 bill que though.

Mike

Edited: she is seperating from her hands, not tilting to load.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks Howard for the explanations, but to be clear I was only referring to the hands moving back. Are you saying she is only thinking of the hands going back? Not the rear elbow moving back / pinching?

In 8 years I have never heard her use the word/ phrase pinching....the hands go rearward and so does the elbow and notice the height of the back elbow is not way up like some, we say the back elbow is not all the way up however not down as it must come down and to avoid the extremeness in our mechanics. The knob leads the elbows as a unit and she focuses on the back elbow and hand staying lined up or staying strong on the back side while at the same time the lead elbow is moving forward and up slightly as she turning and tilting. The pitch you see her hitting was 8 to 10 inches inside and the pitcher was baited into throwing it.

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Tom using the information you provided is and never would be understood by most students well alone a parent....I do not know you however I now see no value in sharing or collaborating any concepts any further.You remind me of a dog barking and chasing a car, what are you going to do with it when you catch it? Being able to describe things in measurable and observable terms and then how can we test it so the athlete can see it, feel it and fix it is what is important.

I realize what others have warned me would happen has come to fruition...life is a self fulfilling prophesy and I guess if you think you know what you are talking about sooner or later you may even think you do or convince someone else.

Thanks Howard

R

RayR

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1100760418658" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1100760418658" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>

Watch as Bustos strides forward how her hands "stay where they were at." This is how we teach building momentum.

I agree that a good cue is to walk away from the hands, but her hands do move back relative to the padded wall backstop. That's why the question to Howard re: what she uses a cue.

Howard, Thanks again. I am just trying to pick Crystl's (and your brain) a bit.

In the BP swing below it looks like her elbow moves up as the hands go back. That's why I wondered if she thought about the rear elbow leading the hands back. A lot of kids will think hands and the rear elbow will stay low and the hands can get outside the rear elbow.
BustosBP3.gif

OK, now pertaining to keeping the front shoulder from opening too soon is this video. As Crystl strides out and separates her front leg/hip are opening into toe touch. As soon as her foot is on the way down from the leg kick the hips are turning forward. The front foot lands open. I think the importance is the timing of the separation. It should occur as the front foot is on the way down to toe touch. Separate too soon and the hands will want to come forward too soon and the front shoulder can fly out.

Keeping her weight 50/50 to slightly forward is also very important to allowing the weight shift which allows the hips to turn with ease.

I understand that the inside pitch location is causing her to open maybe more then usual, but if you watch her foot in the side views you see the same movement.

BustosHRfrontvw.gif

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
howard -

How would you know if the info works or not if you have not tried it as part of see feel fix ?

None of the stuff I have mentioned is "original". It has all worked in the hands of someone else first and when I have tried it as well. It has worked when others have tried it.

I would again recommend understanding how a lengthy contact zone is created by "getting on plane early" which requires keeping the hands back while loading and starting to unload. Understand how to match the contact zone to minimize timing error as well described by Williams/Epstein for example.

I would recommend you get the Hodge tape if you are over 60 but still interested in learning. biomechanicbaseball.

Or you could just close your mind and perhaps miss an opportunity if you think you have it all down.

The choice is yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi