Front Elbow Lifts during beginning of swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2013
I'm not sure if it is considered "front shoulder flying open" but just looking for a drill that will keep DD from leading with a high front elbow in the swing. Or is this just the results of the bat drag I am seeing? Successful power hitter but consistency is not there because I am seeing more balls that are not "squared up"

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I must start with if you posted video it will make giving help easier. So, the following is just guessing.
This is how a hitter should look from Stance to Launch.
9uvpl5.gif

Stance,launch & swing.
1627g5x.gif

2hhg2zn.gif

Front elbow, shoulder ect..... depends also on pitch location and height of pitched ball.
Power hitter but, with inconsistency sounds like a possible 'bat draggier' (again need video to be sure).
Not 'squaring up balls' sounds also like a hitter that hits 'around' their body causing 'slicing'. Not hitting 'out' from their body.
Again just a guess and JMHO.

Dec 19, 2012
I'm not sure if it is considered "front shoulder flying open" but just looking for a drill that will keep DD from leading with a high front elbow in the swing. Or is this just the results of the bat drag I am seeing? Successful power hitter but consistency is not there because I am seeing more balls that are not "squared up"

It would probably be best if you posted a video of her swing so posters can see what you mean by a high front elbow. In the gifs supplied by rdbass above, Cabrera's front elbow remains away from his front side and elevated to a point where his elbow is at armpit height even though the ball is at his knees at contact. Elevation of the elbow might not be the problem....the problem might lie in the attack and tilt.

Dec 19, 2012
It would probably be best if you posted a video of her swing so posters can see what you mean by a high front elbow. In the gifs supplied by rdbass above, Cabrera's front elbow remains away from his front side and elevated to a point where his elbow is at armpit height even though the ball is at his knees at contact. Elevation of the elbow might not be the problem....the problem might lie in the attack and tilt.

addition......

Of course, if the elbow is so high that it interferes with "line of sight" then that is obviously a problem that needs to be rectified, but the best hitters make contact with the ball with their front elbow higher than their hands and their hands higher than the barrel of the bat.

Dec 15, 2013
I will work on getting a video. But its like as soon as the front foot makes contact, the front elbow is up high and the barrel "flattens" out. Like her wrists bend backwards to try to get flat on the plane.How do I make her more aware of the wrists?

I found a video online of a kid exactly what I am talking about. I could post that....?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Posting a clip of your own DD is better.

The lead elbow coming up isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless it's excessively high or at the wrong time. The lead elbow SHOULD come up. Flattening the bat to the swing plane could be okay or could be an issue, depending on what the action is to get it there. If she's turning the barrel by rotation of the hands/forearms, creating an arc to the swing plane, she might be in good shape. If she's dropping the barrel flat behind her and then swinging flat with her arms rotating around her torso, she might need some overhaul.

Dec 15, 2013
If she's dropping the barrel flat behind her and then swinging flat with her arms rotating around her torso, she might need some overhaul.

BINGO!! That is the best way to explain it. I apologize, my whole family is sick with the flu (except for me luckily) so I cannot take any videos right now. Everything else I have is bad angles

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Drop-the-barrel-and-swing-flat is a common swing pattern, and one that many of us (myself included) are trying to correct in our DDs. The short answer is...

...learn to turn the barrel.

What I've found with kids who have the DBSF swing pattern, is that they think that the bat is to be swung by the movement of their arms. Particularly with younger players, there is often little to no lower body action contributing to the power of the swing. Part of the equation in getting the swing action on the right path is getting them to feel the weight of the barrel being controlled by their hands, and getting them to understand how the bat is turned to the swing plane and whipped through contact by the action of the hands and forearms. The hands and arms stay connected to the rotation of the torso.

Cabrera_hands_side.gif

How old is your DD? I hope your house is healthy soon!

Dec 15, 2013
Drop-the-barrel-and-swing-flat is a common swing pattern, and one that many of us (myself included) are trying to correct in our DDs. The short answer is...

...learn to turn the barrel.

What I've found with kids who have the DBSF swing pattern, is that they think that the bat is to be swung by the movement of their arms. Particularly with younger players, there is often little to no lower body action contributing to the power of the swing. Part of the equation in getting the swing action on the right path is getting them to feel the weight of the barrel being controlled by their hands, and getting them to understand how the bat is turned to the swing plane and whipped through contact by the action of the hands and forearms. The hands and arms stay connected to the rotation of the torso.

Cabrera_hands_side.gif

How old is your DD? I hope your house is healthy soon!

Thanks for the information. I have been reading up alot on the turn the barrel instead of pulling the barrel. This concept is very logical to me and makes sense. I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old boy. Getting them to understand it when they just want to keep driving those hands to the ball is another story. Everyone here is very helpful. They both have good hip movement and rotation and momentum is there. Just that initial dump which gets them on the plane too early makes that long pulling swing.. and the rest of the problems after that it creates

Thanks, luckily i still dont have it. Happy new Year

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the information. I have been reading up alot on the turn the barrel instead of pulling the barrel. This concept is very logical to me and makes sense. I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old boy. Getting them to understand it when they just want to keep driving those hands to the ball is another story. Everyone here is very helpful. They both have good hip movement and rotation and momentum is there. Just that initial dump which gets them on the plane too early makes that long pulling swing.. and the rest of the problems after that it creates

Thanks, luckily i still dont have it. Happy new Year

Getting young kids to understand the change in pattern, feel it for themselves, and apply it to their swing can be a big challenge. There are quite a few of us around here who are on that long road.

Keep learning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi