"framing" vs. "Pulling"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD catching for a new team, pitcher missing the strike zone by 9" or more. Coach calling balls and strikes standing behind P

After about 5 walks, conference at the mound, P says:
"Some of those could be strikes if you 'framed' them better." ;-)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you pull, the only thing your trying to pull is the umpire's ...... leg, and that usually doesn't make him happy. The coach needs to learn more about catching (get/loan him a/your copy of the NECC video) and the pitcher needs to learn better control.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
To their credit, coaches stayed out of the conference, never said a word about receiving. I've had to fight that fight before, thankfully not here.

Pulling could never work with the ump behind P, even if you could talk DD into doing it.

Sep 17, 2009
Seems like it was the "P" (not the coach) that said that in the OP. Easiest reply (always): just hit your spots

; >

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
To their credit, coaches stayed out of the conference, never said a word about receiving. I've had to fight that fight before, thankfully not here.

Pulling could never work with the ump behind P, even if you could talk DD into doing it.

Sorry, my original take was a reflex response post. I only missed about half the details in the OP even though it was short and clear! My new advice is to that next time your DD needs to tell the pitcher "They would've been strikes if they were over the plate - do you want me to move the plate or do you prefer it where it is?"

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
"They would've been strikes if they were over the plate - do you want me to move the plate or do you prefer it where it is?"

Priceless indeed... :)

I have always told my students that if a pitcher ever asks why the catcher didn't attempt to make the balls they were throwing look like strikes the conversation should go like this.

Pitcher: "Why didn't you make that ball look like a strike?!?"

Catcher: "You didn't throw one." Try throwing across the plate next time and when it hits my glove it will most definitely look like a strike."

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Funny. "Catcher's" job... to "catch" the ball. Not to magically turn balls into strikes.

Jul 26, 2010
I've always been of the mind that a catcher can make a strike a ball, but she can't make a ball a strike.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC